When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taxing eBay sales pending legislation

-
Accepting paypal, any amount over $600, I have to pay tax on it in Taxachusetts,,sorry . typo, Massachusetts .Ebay or not.

If you make your living selling on Ebay then I can see the tax thing. I am a hobbyist. I buy way more than I ever sell and when I sell its to buy more stuff--not feed my family. So unless the tax man is going to let me write off hobby expenses don't tax me for hobby sales. V/r Shawn

I just wonder how far this is going to go. Are they going to make people start taxing yard sales and flea markets? What about people that offer things like grass cutting and yard clean up? Both of my boy's got out and raked leaves and cut grass to make extra money, what about services like that?
I personally feel like we are all being taxed to death. Yes, I am a smoker and cigarettes in Alabama just went up $ .40 a pack on taxes.
I remember a few years ago Alabama said it was going to increase sales tax on cigarettes by $ .82 a pack to help with infrastructure like bridges and roads they said it would increase state revenue by $541 million dollars a year. Where is that money at now? It D***N sure didn't go to roads. It sure seems like all these taxes are just making politicians pockets fatter.

I'm not as pissed off about the taxes that may happen on eBay but the incessant and outrageous fees that eBay currently charges the sellers. When you get done you end up losing 10%-15% to this company. I sold a clock on eBay for $275 and got a $54 Valuation Charge after the sale, a fee they never previously mentioned. That's why I use Etsy. They take an appropriate amount of the commission and let you have the option of additional advertising, etc. If that ever changes, sianarah Etsy, Hello [insert new online store here]!

There are already tax laws in most states meant to compel you to pay taxes when you make a certain amount of revenue online. There's no point kicking a dead horse, a.k.a. the commoner, while they get the highest tax cuts in the country.

the Ebay change that stopped me from selling was when they added the shipping amount into the final amount total, I pay shipping and Ebay gets a fee???

It's not all just about ebay...paypal too. They are required by some states to report any $$ over a certain amount. Then after that certain amount you get a 1099 that you have to report and pay taxes on. Just for selling anything and accepting paypal .

It's not all just about ebay...paypal too. They are required by some states to report any $$ over a certain amount. Then after that certain amount you get a 1099 that you have to report and pay taxes on. Just for selling anything and accepting paypal .

I remember helping my mom set up at the drive inn on the week end mornings selling garage sale junk with others as well, by midmorning the police staff in pairs would walk around taking note of what you were selling and how much you sold and based on that would collect the city's tax right then, I know this has nothing to do with ebay just a memory I have of city politics of taxing a item many times over and collecting it before you left in cash.......

I remember helping my mom set up at the drive inn on the week end mornings selling garage sale junk with others as well, by midmorning the police staff in pairs would walk around taking note of what you were selling and how much you sold and based on that would collect the city's tax right then, I know this has nothing to do with ebay just a memory I have of city politics of taxing a item many times over and collecting it before you left in cash.......

Something happened in Massachusetts about 20 years ago. It killed off a bunch of long time flea markets. I remember getting a tax form from the flea market when paying for a spot. And at a car swap I did for years, they had tax people stop at every both and get your info....

Back