When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tea Staining Robert Dean Tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Started on aging-down these Robert Dean tires. A couple people have mentioned tea staining these but no one has posted pictures with this treatment. Can someone please show how this looks. Do you soak the tires in a tea bath and for how long? Does anyone know if these change color with uv light exposure? Thanks, Brant

4040B119-6BBF-483A-A2CC-EA20C1042D25.jpg

Shawn Sweeney has an excellent article on aging whitewalls in his Vintage American Bikes blog

Brant - I'm going to guess this is the patina you're after. Although these were not Dean tires on my old 1895 Kenmore. They were white rubber though to begin with and resembled the Dean tires. They were very white when I had them on my bike but after 20 yrs they colored to this yellowish which I'm guessing is what the tea staining would sort of look like. I would like to see other examples as well.

Now, I do have some Robert Dean tires on my 1895 Columbia and they are starting to yellow slightly from just sitting - approx 2 yrs now.. I'm guessing in several yrs they will have a yellowish tint to them but maybe not quite as yellow as on the Kenmore.

L1130658.JPG

Brant different rubber will react differently to different techniques. I'd try whatever on the inside of the tire so if it isn't what you like the rim will hide it. I've also had the same experience as Billy with some of my white tires. After about two years they started to yellow. V/r Shawn

The rubber composition is everything. The Cheng Shin tires on my Sherrell were 25 years old when this photo was taken! No yellowing at all. Maybe they were plastic?

Back