When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teens - 1920's Utica 28" wood wheel bicycle (picture heavy)

-

okozzy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Teens - 1920's Oneita Utica 28" wood wheel bicycle (picture heavy)

I just wanted to display a bike I recently finished, a bike I've been working on for a couple of years now; the bike was in pretty bad shape when I found it. What attracted me to the bike was mainly the chain ring and the fact that all I needed to get it back on the road was a set of wheels.

I was finally able to find some Velocity blunt 35's and so now is back on the road. This is a tall 22" frame so one of my tallest bike as of today.

By the way the seat is very plush...

Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Utica Oneida bicycle 019 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 019 (Medium).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 028 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 028 (Medium).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 026 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 026 (Medium).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 024 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 024 (Medium).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 023 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 023 (Medium).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 022 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 022 (Medium).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 021 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 021 (Medium).jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 020 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 020 (Medium).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
few more pics...

Attachments

• Utica Oneida bicycle 031 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 031 (Medium).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 194
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 032 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 032 (Medium).jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Utica Oneida bicycle 033 (Medium).jpg
    Utica Oneida bicycle 033 (Medium).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 182
Great job on the wheels. The paint match looks pretty darn good. Was matching painted rims what was original, or just your creative creation? The model A looks nice. Cool bike. Hopefully you like the way it rides. Nice work!

Great job on the wheels. The paint match looks pretty darn good. Was matching painted rims what was original, or just your creative creation? The model A looks nice. Cool bike. Hopefully you like the way it rides. Nice work!

Thanks Nick, the bike turned out to be more work than what I bargained for, the saddle had to be recovered, the fork had to be straightened and the bars had to be spot welded. As far as the wheels' finish, I just winged it...I stripped the factory finish off of them and followed by it by primer and brushed on paint from Home Depot.

The bike is a smooth rider, but wished the ND model-A brakes worked a bit better.

All in all, it's a good addition to my stable.

Last edited:
Very nice man. The model A isn't an ideal hub for heavy riding. I have one laced on a rider of mine. They sure look pretty and I sleep better at night knowing the bike rides the way it used to ;)

few more pics...

Well done. I have a 28 inch wheel, 22 inch frame Raleigh DL-1 that fits me nicely (I am 5ft 7in tall). 700c wheels or 28 inch wheels with a 22 inch frame is a good sized, medium, adult bicycle. We sometimes lose sight of proper frame sizing for adults on this forum. People talk of 20 inch frames as "tall" in some instances. In reality, a 21 or 22 inch frame was long the "standard" for an adult male, both in England and the US when it came to diamond frame bikes. A truly "tall" frame is 23 or 24 inches.

You have a very nice, ride-worthy bike there. The wheels look great.

Thanks SirMike,
At 5'10" I find a 22" frame a bit unnerving, if I had to jump off in a hurry I just don't know how that would go.
When I straddle a bike I like to have some room between the top tube and the family jewels if you know what I mean.

From the ground to the top of the top tube is 32" on this bike.

In the mountain biking world, typically;

a large is 19" frame
a medium is 18" frame
a small is 17" frame

Last edited:
Back