When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teens/20's motobike frame. Help ID..

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SKPC

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
What is this? 28". Elgin style sprocket. Stiletto cranks. Curved non-welded Truss rods. Stumped.
Frame side view..
IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

24 tooth Elgin-like...
IMG_1891.JPG

Chain and Seat stays are "flatted" on the inside front to back...
IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

Walthour Hood images found!. (Emblem made or is WH a diff factory?) Seems these may have been used on decks of WWII ships...
Exact match headset/fork/t-rods & fat seat post...Chainring on mine looks swapped in....Trumpet mouth 2nd top tube is similar but not exact..
Images from thecabe threads....
walthhour hood 03[1].jpg

IMG_7379[1].jpg

IMG_7557[1].JPG

Maybe not so Elgin related, nor changed-out, but perhaps Emblem and Walt Hood Heavy Service.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/sprocket-compilation-pic-heavy.41683/page-8#post-913538
Take a good look at the offset of the drive pin, might be about 2" center to center.
Then measure the crank thread diameters, might also be 1/16" fatter than more common cranks.

There are Emblem (mfgr.) and W&H (retail/wholesale) pictures on this site, (some from a catalog sold by an important member), that show various Emblem chain rings, and the 4-square like yours on various models, at different times; even the motobike frame (114) was sold as a Heavy Service model. Emblem was 1 of few frames with a 3/4" (smaller) truss bar on its curved truss and motobike frames. The kinked truss rods and lower support plate (or offset arms) of the fork assembly are also Emblem features, the rear stays as well.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1930’s-bike-frame-fork-28”.143944/
The different joint details (squared versus rounder) may simply be cost-improved methods.

WRT Emblem Angola NY bikes, it seems that a Buffalo company that they acquired gets much of the attention for some reason.

A shipyard bike, (unlike a factory bike), never begets a question like, "so, did grampa ride his bike on the ships gramma?" - ya, right kid, sure he did.

Last edited:
Thank you @hoofhearted for clues and @Archie Sturmer for even more. I came across your (AS) Sprocket Compilation post while searching for the sprocket. It is a 2" distance between crank and drive pin centerlines, and the hanger threads are larger on the now-unusable crank. (see below) Your Pierce/Emblem comment regarding nose-thumbing by Pierce enthusiasts of Emblem manufactured bikes may be that these collectors avoid or dislike association with bankruptcies?(Pierce-1918 purchased by Emblem)
A few interesting features of this frame & parts are as follows. 24, not 26 tooth sprocket, 18" frame(seat tube), 3-1/2"(shorter than others) Head Tube, and these not-seen-anywhere-I look "Flatted" seat and chain stays, where all 4 stays are completely flatted on the inside, crank hanger to dropouts and it looks factory. As to "heavy service"? You can say that again....this frame and fork alone weigh a ton...
IMG_1886.JPG
Walthour & Hood Scout Model 114-Emblem Heavy service below. Not the same frame, fork, crank, or t-rods...
2017-03-07-12.50.20[1].jpg

I am beginning to wonder if this was a Pierce-badged late-teens motobike? Or an early Emblem-made with purchased Pierce inventory in the 20's....

Last edited:
Pierce badges would fit a head tube that was "pierced" differently - diagonal holes.
An example of another (newer? post-war) badge that might not quite fit your bike, with the side holes, (larger than Westfield fasteners).
Greyhound badge 1.jpg

regarding nose-thumbing by Pierce enthusiasts
I did not mean to infer that the Emblem product line was treated like a dog - just that finding Emblem information may entail sifting through more voluminous George N. Pierce related clutter. It does not help that the noun, "emblem" is also a bicycle accessory.

Walthour Hood Atl GA Rollfast Roamer 4-Hearts.jpg
Another example (although a curved truss model) of a W&H Heavy Service, believed to be Emblem-built; maybe buy the entire catalog to find out(?).
Oversize Emblem 1.jpg
I also like the Emblem "sand-dollar" (or 5-loops) chain ring, but do not have high expectations.

the now-unusable crank
So, any plans for any of those special oversize cones, or 24 tooth chain ring, that only fit the oversize cranks?

Last edited:
A few more details. You of course never know if any of these parts came with this partial bike, but perhaps. Maybe so.
Fenders..
IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

Fork & Headset..
IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

Crank & Headset hardware..
IMG_1908.JPG

Motobike-Tan with primer is under Blue under Red repaints, and looks to be difficult to bring back, but I will do my best. If I shouldn't try, let me know.
IMG_1911.JPG

Last edited:
Back