When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teens Mead - Model/Year ID

-
Meadism (TM), lol.
If the bike in question did not have Mead style crank, pedals, the frame could pass for Master. My experience is Master bikes were Davis made, this bike has all the characteristics of the one I linked earlier in the thread, not Davis, not GWM.

Dave, is back side of head tube seamed in center vertically showing a slight raised bead or seam? I've seen this on a few crusaders now.

Sam, what leads you to think Master?

Tommydale1950, that fork could be for a Mead bike or several other brands of the day that used it also, it's not proprietary. If it were for a Tall Tank bike it would be a truss fork.

I'm going to retract---masters had external lugs--this one does not. GW used treaded BBs same as Crescents. and yes Crusaders of the teens used roll and brazed tubing. Schwinn used this color/ fork style/sprocket/ and joints. Maybe it's not a crusader maybe I need to look tru some mead catalogs!

Can anyone help me ID the model and year of this tall Mead? Badge is missing, but it has side to side holes. Serial number is 84236. Thanks!

Brothers and Sisters of The Wheel ... this thread began with Dave Stromberger naming this machine a Mead.

Buckle-Up, Pilgrims ... am going into a ramble mode ......

The same particular chainring does appear on some-other Mead-Badged Units.
Note the six, extra, little-flourishes in the ring, on the ''Dave'' frame.

The viewer can see the same flourishes in the Mead illustration posted by CABE
Member josehuerta on the first page of this entire thread.

Dave has indicated to me that the crankcase is not fitted with Fauber, cranking parts.

Am I wrong to believe that Great Western-Built Bicycles were fitted with Fauber crankcase fittings ?

Have known CABE Member, CrownKing for years --- and see that he is extremely-knowing
regarding all things - Indiana, that is .. Great Western and Fauber equipment. I have total respect
for his findings and pronouncements.

Am not positive the ''Dave'' frame is a Crusader, or not. The frame has several, ''Miami' tells ...
most notable ... the lack of rear-axel adjusters and, the presence of rather-stout fender bridges.

Am keeping in mind that Miami did not always eliminate the rear-axel adjusters
in every machine they produced.

What I observe in the ''Dave'' frame is a diamond-frame design .. stout fender bridges ..
a lack of built-in axel adjusters ... a non-Fauber crank system ... a chainring that really-
appears to mirror the chainring on the Mead in the ad provided by josehuerta ...
and a pair of head-badge retaining-screws ... (am aware that Mead badges and Miami-
Built badges took horizontally-placed screws ... if they took a screw to retain the badge).

Am also seeing a paint-scheme based on the use of paint that is called French Grey.

Davis used this color paint on their Sear's Master ... and Miami also used the color,
French Grey on many of their machines.

The final-three fotos show a Ranger that may have been made in the Miami-Cycle factory.

Oh - NO ... I see axel-adjuster screws .... !!

........... patric

ranger-duck.jpg

ranger-chwl.jpg

ranger-lcrank.jpg

ranger-dtube.jpg
Fotos from Ethernet

mas.jpg
Sear's Master

1213186_original-1  davis-built .. posted by chitown.jpg

Miami%20motor2 (2)  copy.jpg

mead ranger.jpg

1916-Mead-Ranger  01.jpg

Mead-head-badge  01.jpg

Last edited:
Teens Tall Mead.jpg

Never did add this foto with head measurement .......

Here it be ............................................

At 5'6'', I need this like an eel needs boxing gloves ...
but I do have a thing for antiquated, tall frames.

Have decided to keep and build the above unit ...

It will replace a genuine F-M racer-core ... 24'' lightweight
frame / fork / cups .. with 1916 F-M crank / cups and
1916, 24-T chainring. Continue in following paragraph.

No holes in headtube .. no rear adjusters .. has thick
fender bridges .. no paint .. no dings. Seat stem has
built-in tightening bolt ...... Will post total-weight of
aforementioned unit ............................

Will post in sell / trade area when I find my camera fone ...
been on the peep for it most of June.

....... patric

POST SCRIPT ..... perhaps I have revealed too much, already.

If anyone has been wronged by this posting - I will remove.

Last edited:
Brothers and Sisters of The Wheel ... this thread began with Dave Stromberger naming this machine a Mead.

Buckle-Up, Pilgrims ... am going into a ramble mode ......

The same particular chainring does appear on some-other Mead-Badged Units.
Note the six, extra, little-flourishes in the ring, on the ''Dave'' frame.

The viewer can see the same flourishes in the Mead illustration posted by CABE
Member josehuerta on the first page of this entire thread.

Dave has indicated to me that the crankcase is not fitted with Fauber, cranking parts.

Am I wrong to believe that Great Western-Built Bicycles were fitted with Fauber crankcase fittings ?

Have known CABE Member, CrownKing for years --- and see that he is extremely-knowing
regarding all things - Indiana, that is .. Great Western and Fauber equipment. I have total respect
for his findings and pronouncements.

Am not positive the ''Dave'' frame is a Crusader, or not. The frame has several, ''Miami' tells ...
most notable ... the lack of rear-axel adjusters and, the presence of rather-stout fender bridges.

Am keeping in mind that Miami did not always eliminate the rear-axel adjusters
in every machine they produced.

What I observe in the ''Dave'' frame is a diamond-frame design .. stout fender bridges ..
a lack of built-in axel adjusters ... a non-Fauber crank system ... a chainring that really-
appears to mirror the chainring on the Mead in the ad provided by josehuerta ...
and a pair of head-badge retaining-screws ... (am aware that Mead badges and Miami-
Built badges took horizontally-placed screws ... if they took a screw to retain the badge).

Am also seeing a paint-scheme based on the use of paint that is called French Grey.

Davis used this color paint on their Sear's Master ... and Miami also used the color,
French Grey on many of their machines.

The final-three fotos show a Ranger that may have been made in the Miami-Cycle factory.

Oh - NO ... I see axel-adjuster screws .... !!

........... patric

View attachment 229214

View attachment 229218

View attachment 229220

View attachment 229216 Fotos from Ethernet

View attachment 229194 Sear's Master

View attachment 229195

View attachment 229196

View attachment 229200

View attachment 229202

View attachment 229201
Greetings,
Looking to connect with CrownKing as I have recently acquired an early Mead Ranger. But, I can’t find him. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Chris

Back