When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teledyne Titan

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
$550
Zipcode

Bob Osthues

On Training Wheels
This is serial 000595, on BB, not on stem, it is all Phil Woods bearings, hubs, never fractured, never rewelded, to me it has normal ride, it dampens vibrations very well. It is all Shimano, has the original label on the stem , has the pump nubs inside frame, I am second owner, rode it for 30 years, no issues, T1D has stolen my riding ability, time to sell

Photo on 4-21-21 at 11.20 AM.jpg

pump nubs ?

This is serial 000595, on BB, not on stem ? ....Do you possibly mean 'head tube' ?

has the original label on the stem ? ....headtube ?

Phil's last name was spelled simply 'Wood' ....Phil bearings in your headset, pedals, freewheel, rear derailleur pulleys ?

Failures of the Teledyne frames can pretty much be directly attributed to the use of 'commercially pure' Ti ....when Augspurger, Litespeed, Merlin, Sandvik ( and others ) came along years later they were able to successfully employ butted tubes and Titanium alloys ( such as 3/2 titanium and 3/2.5 ti as well as 6/4 ti ) that had then become more widely available

German builder Fritz Fleck had a cult-like following with his niche-built FLEMA frames, also made of Titanium ....a small number of the FLEMA frames were re-labeled as Flandria and raced in europe, some Flandria frames saw distribution by British cycling-goods purveyor, Ron Kitching ....also, around the same time as the Teledyne ....the English company Speedwell Gear Case produced the Speedwell Titalite that was ridden for some stages of the Tour de France by 1973 overall winner Spaniard, Luis Ocana ....he rode for a team sponsored by BIC ( the ink pen folks )....they also had sponsorship whereby the riders on that team were paid to ride bicycles from Motobecane ....lore has it that Ocana rode his Speedwell on stages that involved a lot of climbing

Pino Moroni and Cecil Behringer 'teamed together' and made Ti frames for a period of time ....Pino was a real 'character' and I spent quite a bit of time with him way back then ....they combined to produce some very interesting frames, marketed under the name Pino-Behr

Ron Skarin, Wayne and brother Dale Stetina all rode the Teledyne for a period of time, Stetina's bicycle was marketed as a Follis Titan by the French bicycle maker Follis ( his sponsor at the time ) ....these 3 aforementioned riders were highly skilled competitive cyclists

Last edited:
pump nubs ?

This is serial 000595, on BB, not on stem ? ....Do you possibly mean 'head tube' ?

has the original label on the stem ? ....headtube ?

Phil's last name was spelled simply 'Wood' ....Phil bearings in your headset, pedals, freewheel, rear derailleur pulleys ?

Failures of the Teledyne frames can pretty much be directly attributed to the use of 'commercially pure' Ti ....when Augspurger, Litespeed, Merlin, Sandvik ( and others ) came along years later they were able to successfully employ butted tubes and Titanium alloys ( such as 3/2 titanium and 3/2.5 ti ) that had then become more widely available

Ron Skarin, Wayne and brother Dale Stetina all rode the Teledyne, ....they were highly skilled competitive cyclists

German builder Fritz Fleck had a cult-like following with his niche-built FLEMA frames, also made of Titanium
It has been a while since my 5 years volunteering as a mentor at Community Bicycle Center, , I am 80, and forget things. The serial number is on the bottom bracket, not on the head tube. Most of the components you mention are now Shimano, they work as they should. The Phil Wood bearings are in the bottom bracket, head tube and hubs (also Phil Wood), not pedals, freewheel or derailleur. The front wheel spins forever when given a small tug. I am second owner, it had racing rims, glue on, when I got the bike, so, replaced the rims and I rode it steadily for 25 years, no cracks, no bad welds, no failures. I weighed about 195, and led B level 40 mile group rides for our club in Maine with hills so, the bike has seen some stress. BTW, it is a 56 frame.

This is serial 000595, on BB, not on stem, it is all Phil Woods bearings, hubs, never fractured, never rewelded, to me it has normal ride, it dampens vibrations very well. It is all Shimano, has the original label on the stem , has the pump nubs inside frame, I am second owner, rode it for 30 years, no issues, T1D has stolen my riding ability, time to sell

View attachment 1601463
Looks like a nice road bike Bob, glwts! Sorry about you having to sell it.

V/r
Sean

Phil Wood headset ....did you have difficulty finding a 1' inch threaded version to fit your forks ?

FWIW ....Phil did make pedals years ago ....commonly referred to as CHP pedals ....platform construction with precision bearings

Phil and his wife, Vada, were two of the most genuine people you would care to know ....visited with them in Iowa

BTW ....what is a 'pump nub' ? ....just curious about that one

Phil Wood headset ....did you have difficulty finding a 1' inch threaded version to fit your forks ?

FWIW ....Phil did make pedals years ago ....commonly referred to as CHP pedals ....platform construction with precision bearings

Phil and his wife, Vada, were two of the most genuine people you would care to know ....visited with them in Iowa

BTW ....what is a 'pump nub' ? ....just curious about that one
This frame has little hooks on top tube and the frame tube that accepts seat post (sorry, have forgotten a lot of the correct names for bike parts) that were intended to hold a fairly long pump. Do not understand the question on the head set, I just mean that PW bearing support the steering. Right now it has plain, flat, pedals, there is a set of Shimano quick release units with it, and an old pair of shoes with the correct parts. Bob O

I will tell you this ....if I was out riding, and came across someone riding a bicycle like yours, I would most definitely 'turn around' and catch up to that rider to strike up a conversation ....your bicycle is something that you just don't see every day in the year 2022

I will tell you this ....if I was out riding, and came across someone riding a bicycle like yours, I would most definitely 'turn around' and catch up to that rider to strike up a conversation ....your bicycle is something that you just don't see every day in the year 2022
You would have had no trouble catching me. I was a white water racer in my 30s, a runner in my 40s, but no biking til post 50, I was happy to average 17 on a hilly ride. I do love the bike, but, can no longer ride it, someone is going to get lucky, these have a reputation for bad things mine just does not do???

Hi Bob,
Thank you for posting your beautiful Teledyne. Being an active person your whole life, I'm sure you miss riding. I'm sorry for your situation. Over the course of your life, you've probably forgotten more things about bicycles and riding them then most of us here will ever know. By the way, welcome to the Cabe.

Back