When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me about the late 40's Continentals

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

user_name_here

On Training Wheels
I've had a few old Schwinns and recently discovered the late 40s Continentals. They seem to be hard to find? I think they are by far the prettiest Schwinn lightweights ever built.

Not counting the 60-70's Continentals, what years were the early ones made? What's "special" about them?

I want one in a bad way. Anyone have a decent one for sale?

Thanks!

Schwinns high end light weight below a Paramount. Roughly 1946 to early 1950s. If Metacortex is around he would know better. Many GIs who were stationed in England during WW2 got introduced to the good British 3 speeds and wanted one when they got home. Schwinns version of such a bike to meet the market. Roger

The lightweight 3 speeds are around and generally do not bring much money. Some pictures of some of mine and all of them cost between $50 and $100. Build dates range on these from 1041 to 1962. Roger

MVC-007S.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_8816.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

The blue bikes are both Travelers and one is a 1962 and the other is a 1953. They didn't change much. Roger

I've had a few old Schwinns and recently discovered the late 40s Continentals. They seem to be hard to find? I think they are by far the prettiest Schwinn lightweights ever built.

Not counting the 60-70's Continentals, what years were the early ones made? What's "special" about them?

I want one in a bad way. Anyone have a decent one for sale?

Thanks!

The early Continental was a post-war bicycle above the New World bike and below the Paramount in the Schwinn hierarchy. It and the Schwinn Superior were the "middle" of the range. The Continental was made of straight-gauge Cro-Mo steel. In order to join the tubes, the frames were fillet brazed by hand. The result of using the different material also was that the frame had larger tubes with thinner walls than the New World or the balloon tire cruisers of that time. This made a lighter frame than plain carbon steel. It also gave a somewhat livelier and more responsive ride than a high carbon steel frame. The overall frame angles are basically the same as the New World, but the frame materials are better on the Continental.

As with most mid-range bikes, the Continental got better components usually than the lower-end bikes, but not quite as nice as the Paramount. Continentals often have Endrick-pattern stainless steel rims (they're Schwinn S-6 pattern, but have a "stainless" stamp on them usually). The bikes could have a wide variety of hubs. They also often appear with the "aluminum neck", adjustable stem.

Schwinn used a 3-piece cottered crank set on these.

As a mid-range bike they also often got the "winged" graphics, whereas the 1940s New World had plain "box pinstripes" (sometimes very late New Worlds from the early 1950s have wings like the 1950s-era 3-speed Schwinns).

1947 Schwinn Continental:

20170916_164437.jpg

20170916_164504.jpg

20170827_180504.jpg

Fillet brazing:

20161023_160750.jpg

For comparison: 1947 Schwinn New World (but with Continental wheelset).

20170823_190438.jpg

Last edited:
Back