When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me about the late 40's Continentals

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I just found this one. It is missing the seat, post, clamp, and sturmey archer cable but otherwise all there. Paint is color is baby blue and is likely not original because there are no signs of decals, but it was professionally done and done a long time ago. It has all the standard continental features such as aluminum front hub, stainless schwinn rims, two piece stem, stainless bars. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and getting it back on the road.

IMG_7519.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7533.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

I just found this one. It is missing the seat, post, clamp, and sturmey archer cable but otherwise all there. Paint is color is baby blue and is likely not original because there are no signs of decals, but it was professionally done and done a long time ago. It has all the standard continental features such as aluminum front hub, stainless schwinn rims, two piece stem, stainless bars. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and getting it back on the road.

View attachment 791912

View attachment 791913

View attachment 791914

View attachment 791915

View attachment 791916

Yeah - looks like you found a late 1940s Continental that was re-painted. The rear hub shell may have a date on it because it looks to be a Sturmey Archer 3-speed.

I forgot to add - do not fall for the lure of parting out that bicycle. A number of those parts have value because the Schwinn balloon tire bicycles can use them (e.g., the brake levers; the flip-flop stem; etc.). That's a really well-made bike you have and should be cleaned and built back up into a complete 3-speed road-going bike. You may be able to polish that paint into a good state, but if not, a re-paint would be justifiable on a bike like this.

Thanks Mike, My favorite bikes/daily riders are three speeds. I've had numerous raleighs, sears, and huffys etc. I've always been drawn to the lighter weight of the flimsy department store bicycles from the 70's but less then thrilled by the cheapness of the compenents. Lately I've been into french 650b randonneurs or 80's mountain bikes converted to porteurs.
Anyways, I've never even considered schwinn lightweights due to their heavy overbuilt frames that feel dead to me. I must admit. When I saw the ad for this bike, I was sucked in by the frame mounted sturmey archer shifter. I've never heard of a 40's continental.
Upon closer inspection I realized how "fancy" this bike is. I went to pick it up and realized it wasn't all that heavy. The rims, bars, and fenders weren't rusty? That's odd.. Having the seatpost clamp missing was a blessing in disguise. I was able to see the wall thickness of the seat tube and realize this ain't no typical heavy schwinn lightweight. Right when I got home i googled schwinn continental and I came across your blog (which I completely love), and did more research about this one. No way it's being parted out! I can wait to get it back together. My sturmey archer hub says AW. I don't see a date on it. I'm very pleased by how original this bike is down to schwinn tires, original grips, the original cables and raw metal wound brake housing. This bike might be exactly what I've been looking for having a lightweight nimble frame and quality components.

Congrats to Retrorider. That's not an easy bike to find...in any condition!

She's back on the road with a few mods. I swapped the bars/grips and added a Brooks b72, 50's schwinn front rack, and crate. Pictured below with stock wheels with black Schwinn 597 Kenda tires and 650b wheels off my other bike with grand bois hetres 44-584 (black with tan sidewall). I'm very much considering building a set of 650b wheels for this bike..

IMG_7757.JPG

IMG_7758.JPG

IMG_7740.JPG

IMG_7741.JPG

Here is my continental now...
I removed all the paint off the frame and fork with Jasco. Next a rusty patina and distressed look was created with a sprayed on vinegar, salt, and hydrogen peroxide solution. Then I clear coated over it to preserve the rusty raw bike look. Lastly, I switched out some parts from things in my parts stash. I switched to a 50's schwinn handlebar and schwinn front rack with box on the front. I added some vintage french fenders, chainguard, stem, and rear rack to change the look and give the bike a whole different attitude. Here are some pics of the finished product and a pic of what I started with.
IMG_9791.jpg

IMG_9792.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

Back