When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terminology

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I say we call on the Cabe member @Rear Facing Drop Out to put an end to this nonsense!
LOL.
I actually used the name as a pun. Obviously prewar, track bike and BMX all have frames with rear facing drop outs but as a high school teacher I know that high school drop outs often spend time looking back with regret which also makes them a rear facing drop out. Lol

The M1 Garand I was issued by the Kansas National Guard used a clip. Later the M1s were replaced by the M14 and then the M16. The M14 and M16 used a magazine.

I checked Sheldon Brown's Glossary of bike parts. He calls any rear frame with slots that face the back a "fork." If the slots face down and forward he calls them a "dropout." Here's an illustration from his glossary.

RI3zd.jpg

Maybe if you read this ya'll will learn something. And I can only hope. The definition of drop out in this case only describes the one type of rear fork end, not both types. It's easy to understand, even for the learning impaired that dropped out.

1602472231478.png

Last edited:
Well it's a lot easier to call them front & rear facing dropouts or axle slots because most people understand that ( it's all I have heard them called all my life! ), If I called them rear fork slots I'd spend most of my time trying to edgamacate everyone what I'm talking about, when it comes to bicycles/motorcycles most people know a fork as the thing that the handlebars turns to steer front wheel.try using some of the technical terms about cars, computers etc. and see the blank stares you get. when is the last time you heard ck out that saddle! unless your riding a horse. shortcut terminology everywhere. Don't got the time to worry about all this, but one thing bugs me is when I hear "skip ah tooth":astonished:

Maybe if you read this ya'll will learn something. And I can only hope. The definition of drop out in this case only describes the one type of rear fork end, not both types. It's easy to understand, even for the learning impaired that dropped out.

View attachment 1282625
You still haven't answered the 'pie plate' question. So is it only the terms that ruffle your feathers that need addressing? Are we leading a bunch of people astray using the term 'pie plate' for something that isn't used to serve pie on?

Well it's a lot easier to call them front & rear facing dropouts or axle slots because most people understand that ( it's all I have heard them called all my life! ), If I called them rear fork slots I'd spend most of my time trying to edgamacate everyone what I'm talking about, when it comes to bicycles/motorcycles most people know a fork as the thing that the handlebars turns to steer front wheel.try using some of the technical terms about cars, computers etc. and see the blank stares you get. when is the last time you heard ck out that saddle! unless your riding a horse. shortcut terminology everywhere. Don't got the time to worry about all this, but one thing bugs me is when I hear "skip ah tooth":astonished:

Amen brother!

It would be just as easy to call them what they are. If you're talking to someone and they have a blank look, then teach them. It would take you less than 30 fricken seconds. I've been in this hobby since 2008 and have torn down and rebuilt bikes and mini bikes from the time I was 10. I have never once called the prewar rear fork end a drop out and this is the first bike forum that I've been on where almost everyone calls the rear fork end a drop out, whether is or not, and then having to describe what direction the drop out is facing. Well, first off, you can't drop out your wheel if you have a "rear" facing axle slot with an adjuster. With a drop out you can actually drop out your rear wheel and that's why the two words Drop Out are used describing the fork end. Simple schit here and it's not complicated in the least.
What bugs me is people spreading their ignorance to people that are just learning. Another perfect example of this is Pat Sextons Schwinn site. It's riddled with so much BS that's confusing the masses it's disgusting. He is also using the 1953 catalogs for 1952 and 1951 so don't get confused if you use his site. The 52 and 51 models are also middleweights too. ;)

1602492282433.png

1602492405327.png

Back