When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terminology

-
On one of the car forums I monitor, some guy is looking for a "front" hood for his 1965 Buick Riviera. As opposed to a "rear" hood. ?????
My British sports cars had "Bonnets", not hoods, hoods are sections of some cities, correct?....or what is attached to my Parkas...or what is attached to the wall above the stove in the kitchen,..... but I'm confused again, is it a stove, or a range? Or is a range where I go for target practice.....Excuse me while go scratch my head and think for a while....one more thing, is it a Bike, a Bicycle, or a Velo?......hummmmmmm

As long as we're making U-turns while driving in the wrong lane going the wrong direction on a one-way street. Try this one on. Seven different ways that words containing the tetragraph 'ough' are pronounced. Each of the following words has a different pronunciation for ough. Do you know each of the seven?

rough
cough
drought
although
bought
slough
thorough

These are words used in common American English and do not include words used in British, Scottish, Australian, and New Zealand English. Most of those words are names of places so they don't count unless you live there.
Now you know why people immigrating to America find it difficult to learn English. Basically the only rule is 'There are no rules when it comes to pronunciation.'

I sent John Kraman, TV guy for Mecum an e mail that there is actually a difference between a Turban and a Turbine. How many times he calls turbine wheel covers turban wheel covers.

turbine.jpg

turban.jpg

Back