eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Looks like that one is in nice shape. And yes, the bar tape is non existent so far, been missing for years now.

Is your stem steel with the lightening chinch bolt?

Reactions: Schwinn499

momo608

I live for the CABE
Dec 25, 2014
Atascadero, United States
Last edited:

Schwinn499

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 9, 2011
Monrovia, CA, United States
I have recently aquired a piece of terra cotta tape from the inside of the bars on an all og TC varsity...havnt had a chance to do some in depth comparison but it looks alot like the flam red rolls i have...will update when time permits

Reactions: momo608

Metacortex

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sep 22, 2012
The Matrix
Research, we need research. Schwinn renamed violet tape Flamingo.
I don't believe that is true. They have different part numbers and I have examples of both of them and they appear to be different. Burgundy is also sometimes confused with Violet as it is also similar but not the same.

I think it's entirely possible Terra Cotta tape was renamed and used again as well.
I believe Terra Cotta tape was a unique color. It was only offered for one year on original equipment bikes and only in the first year that colored tapes were even offered (1964). It remains IMHO the hardest tape color to find, I've never even seen a legitimate roll for sale.

Reactions: Eric Amlie

Metacortex

Sep 22, 2012
The Matrix
Picked this one up a couple weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to clean it yet. Would be nice to find some original grip tape! Rare color, I'm assuming?
The paint and decals look incredible! Terra Cotta is one of the rarest colors. It was a one-year only color on the Varsity and in an early year when sales were much less than during the boom years. So far I've never seen a roll of TC tape for sale. In the mean time Flamboyant Red is by far the closest match.

Reactions: Dave Stromberger

momo608

I live for the CABE
Dec 25, 2014
I don't believe that is true. They have different part numbers and I have examples of both of them and they appear to be different. Burgundy is also sometimes confused with Violet as it is also similar but not the same.

I believe Terra Cotta tape was a unique color. It was only offered for one year on original equipment bikes and only in the first year that colored tapes were even offered (1964). It remains IMHO the hardest tape color to find, I've never even seen a legitimate roll for sale.
See the link about the violet tape second page. If that won't convince you nothing will.

Metacortex

Sep 22, 2012
The Matrix
See the link about the violet tape second page. If that won't convince you nothing will.
So far I'm not convinced. I think the eBay seller you were dealing with was incorrect, few know exactly what colors they have. I'll have to dig out my rolls to verify. I will gladly admit I'm wrong if that is the case but so far I remember them being distinctly different, plus it wouldn't be like Schwinn to introduce a new part number for the same thing, and Flamingo paint is definitely a lighter color than Violet.

momo608

I live for the CABE
Dec 25, 2014
So far I'm not convinced. I think the eBay seller you were dealing with was incorrect, few know exactly what colors they have. I'll have to dig out my rolls to verify. I will gladly admit I'm wrong if that is the case but so far I remember them being distinctly different, plus it wouldn't be like Schwinn to introduce a new part number for the same thing, and Flamingo paint is definitely a lighter color than Violet.
It came out of an unopened box labeled Flamingo?

Reactions: GTs58
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Metacortex

Sep 22, 2012
The Matrix
That's what the seller told you. ;) I'll dig out some rolls tomorrow.

momo608

I live for the CABE
Dec 25, 2014
That's what the seller told you. ;) I'll dig out some rolls tomorrow.
I saw the box. If you don't have the box then what you have could be anything. Sun faded or who knows what.

It only came on 1977 ladies Varsity's. Does it look like a paint match here?

1977_schwinn_varsity_sport_girls.jpg

1977_schwinn_varsity_sport_24.jpg

Metacortex

Sep 22, 2012
The Matrix
It looks lighter than Violet, yeah. I saw the pictures of the box too, so far not buying it. As I said I'll dig out some rolls tomorrow...

PS: Maybe the "Violet" roll you have is really Flamingo. ;)

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!