When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Test rides at swap meets

-

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
How do you folks that sell bikes at swap/sales meets handle test rides? Someone, potential buyer, wants to take the bike for a spin.....do you just trust them to come back, refuse to let them take it, ask for collateral?

Any input appreciated.

Mike

How Does it RIDE??.....Rides awesome!

I have let total strangers ride my Challenger at Veterans Stadium Cycle Swap...asking $900...they really like it... none of "Them" bought it though. (Sold Now btw)
I have said no too. We all know a bunch of other swappers, selling and shopping so they're the stranger in this case.
I would ask for a Driver's lic. or something just to make sure they don't go far.

How do you folks that sell bikes at swap/sales meets handle test rides? Someone, potential buyer, wants to take the bike for a spin.....do you just trust them to come back, refuse to let them take it, ask for collateral?

Any input appreciated.

Mike
IMG_8750.jpg

I actually let a guy put a speedo I had for sale on his Whizzer to see how well it worked...I'd met him before but didnt really know him, told him if it breaks he owns it...well hell he was gone almost 45 minutes! But I knew where his vending spot was so I could find him pretty easy, anyway he finally came back and said it worked great, and paid me.....LOL...dont think I'll do that again tho....haha
I dont mind letting them test ride, I've only been asked once, and he didnt go out of my sight.

It wasnt a swap but a local friday nite car show i used to cruise on a vintage bike. This man and woman stopped me to ask about my bike. The little gal, maybe 5 feet tall just loved it! She said she still rides so i offered to let her ride it. She hopped on it like a champ and rode off! About 2 seconds later i got a sinking feeling standing next to her man. Needless to say, i basically ran after her! She circled back with an ear to ear grin and said "i love it"! Dismounted and gave it back. Not gonna lie, i was worried there for a minute.

Maybe I'm everyone's favorite buyer, as I almost never ask questions. I see, I like, I buy. Pretty simple... (till I get stuff home)....
I've had people ask me to take pictures until I thought my camera would wear out tho-

Maybe I'm everyone's favorite buyer, as I almost never ask questions. I see, I like, I buy. Pretty simple... (till I get stuff home)....
I've had people ask me to take pictures until I thought my camera would wear out tho-

I'm with Bri. I have never bought a bike expecting it to be 100%. I look it over for obvious damage but assume I will go through the hubs and bearings, true the wheels, etc... before it meets my expectations. I would let someone test ride as long as they stayed in the immediate area--unless I know them. V/r Shawn

Never man your booth/table alone at a swap meet and always take a personal bicycle. That way, if anyone wants to go for a test ride, you just tag along. The person you leave in charge doesn't have to be knowledgeable. They just have to say," he'll be back in 10 minutes".

I have only one set of newer tires that I rotate among the fleet after selecting a seasonal rider.
Basically, I roll with vintage rubber and my purpose is to clean up my bikes so the seller knows what he/she is getting and I'll make needed corrections, BUT I am not focussed and selling a street ready bike.
An interested party can mount it and feel the geometry, but the tires are a liability, which puts my item at risk and I work swaps alone (but usually I know my neighbor for help both ways).
Good question.
Chris

I've never had anyone ask to test ride a bike at a meet. And I've never asked to test ride one I was thinking about buying either.... If I want it, I just buy it. I have gotten to ride a lot of realy cool vintage bikes at meet over the years. Usually someone I know will have one they are riding around, and offer it up to ride.

Back