When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Test rides at swap meets

-
Thanks for all the great answers....I appreciate it. I've also heard that leaving the pedals off but attached to the bike is a good way to keep it close by.

Mike

I've had the seller ask me if I wanted to ride it before. More than once. Always thought that was weird.

The only time I would let a buyer ride a bike first, was if he were at my house, with his car parked here.

I've never needed to take a test ride myself. I think most of us can spot the flaws, or the quality, or whatever, of a bike we want to buy. I know the rims are bent, the seatpost is stuck, and the tires are flat. The fact that it's unridable makes the price come down.

I really don't have anyone ever ask to test ride a bicycle - Nor do I ask to - If I like it ...I buy it - you can get a good idea of what your looking at purchasing - well by just looking at it - I assume the bicycle needs a going through once purchased anyways - so no point in riding it & a serious buyer would probably know what they're looking at too without a test ride ... Ride Vintage - Frank

If someone wants to try it out, let them try it out. If you don't know them, have them put down some collateral. The end.

A guy I let ride my Iver left his girlfriend as collateral. I'm glad he came back.

Back