Texan Photo?

This ad disappears when logged in

barnyguey

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
Hoowdy! Anyone have a photo of a Texan Bicycle? This badge popped up for sale and I can't find anything about it. I think it might be Schwinn? Thanks! Barry
TEXAN 01.jpg
TEXAN 02.jpg

partsguy

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
I don't think this was off a Schwinn-built bicycle. They were much more careful in re-badging their bicycles for non-bike shop stores.

It probably came off of a Murray, CWC, Huffman, or a Colson. I'd say this is from the 1940s-50s.

There was a special edition Dodge Texan car at this time, built exclusively for Texas Dodge dealers. Perhaps that had some influence?

da0913-165202_2.jpg

5889565000_f6427502a9_m.jpg

barnyguey

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
I don't think this was off a Schwinn-built bicycle. They were much more careful in re-badging their bicycles for non-bike shop stores.

It probably came off of a Murray, CWC, Huffman, or a Colson. I'd say this is from the 1940s-50s.

There was a special edition Dodge Texan car at this time, built exclusively for Texas Dodge dealers. Perhaps that had some influence?

View attachment 649605

View attachment 649606
I have an Ad saying Massie sold Schwinn built bicycles with the Texan badge.

Schwinn was the Advertised brand and then the Ad also said they Repair bicycles, sell Tires, do Repainting, sell supplies for all makes and also offered free delivery.

Last edited:

barnyguey

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
I've been writing a book on the many names used on Schwinn bicycles and the badges that went along with them. I'm saving cool little things like the Ad for the book. I'd love to show it now but I'm up to 245 pages and hope to print the Book this fall. I've been talking about it for years and lots of friends and other fellow bicycle freaks are looking forward to reading all the interesting information I've found. I hope I don't offend you and I think you will enjoy checking it out in the book. Have a great day! Barry

partsguy

Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
I've been writing a book on the many names used on Schwinn bicycles and the badges that went along with them. I'm saving cool little things like the Ad for the book. I'd love to show it now but I'm up to 245 pages and hope to print the Book this fall. I've been talking about it for years and lots of friends and other fellow bicycle freaks are looking forward to reading all the interesting information I've found. I hope I don't offend you and I think you will enjoy checking it out in the book. Have a great day! Barry
I am always researching bikes. While my niche is Huffman (blasphemy in the Schwinn forum!), I totally understand. The Radiobike is my latest research project. It occurred to me that little was known about them, and I have vehemently sought answers. I have shared bits and pieces of my research here, and uploaded many catalogs for public view. Some people really go the extra mile, it is much like archaeology. For that, there is a price. No offense meant!!

barnyguey

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
Cool! Good luck with your research! I also have posted lots of info including catalogs, ads, badges etc. but want to save some of it for the book. I've been working on this for five years and have put thousands of hours into it. I think people will enjoy all the information I have compiled. I've found over 200 Companies or Shops etc. that sold Schwinn bikes with their own badge on it. The more I find, the more I realize how many more may still be waiting to be found. You could by a Schwinn through 15,000 different outlets before WWII.

partsguy

Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
I think I post of my time in scouring old literature. Lots of time. So much of it thrown out.

I thought this badge was postwar?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KevinM

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jan 10, 2007
North Richland Hills, United States
I think I post of my time in scouring old literature. Lots of time. So much of it thrown out.

Please don't leave us any time soon.

barnyguey

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho

The Ad I have is from 1940. That's why I was asking for some photos of some bicycles. I want to see if they had an earlier version of the badge or if this is the one that was on the 1940 models. Barry

partsguy

Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
I realize in you quoting me that I have a gramatical error in my post. I meant to say, "I think I spend most"

Now, that is going to drive me nuts. Lol.

I am not planning on leaving anytime soon!

partsguy

Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
I was in the top ten spellers of my school, undefeated at class level, mom made it to state level, and my granny taught English.

I must admit, texting and smart phones have caused me to slip. Neither existed when I was in spelling bees.

barnyguey

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
I just got a cell phone last week and came over to the dark side. It's been a challenge, but I was losing touch with everyone. I'm not on facebook or any of the other forums and needed the cell phone for contacting fellow bike freaks and sending photos. I'd say the camera is the best part about the phone.

Last year I couldn't spell GRADGIEET, now I are one!

Last edited:

partsguy

Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
The Ad I have is from 1940. That's why I was asking for some photos of some bicycles. I want to see if they had an earlier version of the badge or if this is the one that was on the 1940 models. Barry
Post war ads and catalogs are tough as it is, but pre-war is even more tough to find. A lot got donated to scrap drives for the war effort. Many weren't even printed from 1941-45.

There must be a little old house, in Texas somewhere, with the literature inside.

barnyguey

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 7, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
Maybe you could answer a question? I don't know that much about the different features on prewar Schwinn bicycles. I have a bicycle for an example in the book that has the Aluminum fenders. I would like to tell what years you could order this option. Do you know?
Thank you! Barry

partsguy

Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
I wish they would send it my way! I need more information!
Never stop digging. In my step-dad's house, with decades of clutter, there were some bicycle things in there. Some of which, I will upload. Some were sold, and some, got mistakenly pitched. Nothing too old, all 70's era, but you never know. I found most of it in a bedroom and coat closet. It was not the kind of house you would expect to find transportation memorabilia in. Attend all estate sales you can, make friends with estate sellers, and go through all the papers, boxes, bags, etc. The best stuff is never out on a shelf or display.

Last edited:

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture
$34.00
eBay Auction Picture
$19.95
eBay Auction Picture
$199.00
eBay Auction Picture
$349.00