The 1960s...wild times

This ad disappears when logged in

Boris

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Feb 16, 2008
Portland, OR 97206
Turns out, most people were either too high to ever bring about the revolution they were talking about, or they got the days mixed up, or they just plain forgot about it. So here we are.

GTs58

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Turns out, most people were either too high to ever bring about the revolution they were talking about, or they got the days mixed up, or they just plain forgot about it. So here we are.

They didn't forget.

KENT STATE

12b66_Boston.jpg

Kent-State-tiot-courtesy-kentstate1970.org_.jpg

50fa9ee5128565a3fb041c762125edd8.jpg

Jeff54

I live for the CABE
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Huntington beach, Marbles, caroms, Base Ball, '3 flies up' too. Schwinn, Itsy-bitsy, tiny-weeny, yellow poka a dot bikinis, Go-carts, mini bikes, Bridget Bardot, Mini skirts, bell-bottoms,, Pool . Flower power. Pot? Made me puke, beer and wine too. LSD? My Cousin practically, single handedly made the corner of Hate and Asbury St's famous. Walking in circles for 4 days on that corner, hit Calif. news Two-3 months later after 'rehabilitation" Same place, same Bat channel, 'Batman' and this time it went national then Global! . The second time, as I were told, it took 6 months plus, of 'rehabilitation' Or 'demoralization' [grin] beginning with how to write and spell. Albeit by late 60's peps thought; "why naturally, an art dude, surfer type , flower power, 'Keep on Truckin' and all that', I must be a druggy too. So, yeah, Art Linkletter's daughter, flying out a window, cinched the deal. Nope! That puking part just wasn't working for me too. Especially, when 1 beer, = puke = get kicked out of any party. .

OK where was I? Oh yeah, 4-track cartage: Janis, Hendrix, Morison, Creedence, , Beach boys, "Grovin' Peter Max, "We all live in a yellow submarine!" , Black lights strobe and colored, 'star trek' like effects, The white album, Abby Road.

A Yellow submarine,,,,,

a yellow submarine.

Wait, hold the Curtin,,, Did I mention Mini Skirts?

We All Lived in a yellow Submarine!!

,,, A yellow submarine..
(Yellow Mini skirts are Groovy, Man,,,. )

a yellow submarine.
( yellow Bikinis are cool, Man,, )

"Yellow mellow!. That's right!" Yeah,,, 'Man,,,'

Last edited:

harpon

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 8, 2012
Jacksonville FL
I was still only 15 on new Years Day 1970, so I only lived the 60's in elementary and junior high school. Funny how kids know every nuance of their youth though. I can usually tell what year it is in photos by the clothes or even the quality of the television picture. Although the last couple of years were especially tumultuous, I think the 60's were later larger blown up in in the lore of media or disparaged by politicians who didn't like the instability of their older views being threatened. 50 years ago I got almost close enough to touch an STP Lotus wedge turbine at the speedway before they disappeared and that was a big deal when I got back home and spent the summer riding my bike and mini bike and looking at all the glossy photos in the car racing magazines. Now I'd shut it all down if I could. We are heading for weather disasters that shake the world and life itself.

peacebike.jpg

minibike sign.jpg

grandpap.JPG

Grandpap the coalminer circa 1960- Cannonsburg PA.

vincev

Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
The 60's are over ???? When are we going to start the revolution !!??

Boris

Feb 16, 2008
Portland, OR 97206
We haven't even accepted you into the Revolution yet! That will be discussed on Thursday. Already you're trying to run things? I have to tell you, this isn't looking too good for you so far.

Greg M

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sep 25, 2011
Victoria, BC, Canada
Viva la Revolution!

I missed the sixties completely, wasn’t even conceived until spring of 1970.

OLDTIMER

Look Ma, No Hands!
Mar 12, 2013
Great Lakes Area
Kindergarten in '59....Grade School Class of '68 and High School Class of '72....
During the '60s, my young mind was observing and absorbing events in the world around me which partly molded me into who I am today.....
The only thing I can remember was learning how to ride a bike on a late '50s Schwinn Hornet and then buying my 2-speed Coppertone Stingray.
During the 60s, I moved away from the muscle car bikes to the real 1:1 muscle cars.
Girls went from being ugly to smelling good.....and from there, I can't remember a thing......lol
PS....Ironically, I will be attending a 50 year Grade School Class reunion this upcoming Saturday.....as the say in the '60s...."this is gonna be a trip"...!!!

morton

I live for the CABE
Nov 9, 2007
York, United States
Didn't do drugs but inhaled mega amounts of beer. Owned a 1949 Cady hearse turned ambulance with maroon velvet interior. Was drafted in my sophmore year of college even though I carried a full schedule and a 2.5 gpa. Went for my pre induction physical and doc told me the enemy would be on our shores before they took me cause I had a 3 inch metal pin holding my leg into the hip socket...talk about a put down! I was a bit disappointed as I was planning to enlist in the Navy and "see the world."

Spent lots of time at the New Jersey shore and met lots of women. Same for college. It was called the Free Love era and nobody worried about fatal diseases. :sweat:

Had a signed contract for my first real job in February of my senior year in college with an annual salary of $5800 and graduated owing a grand total of $850! My wonderful parents ponied up most of the tuition money but I worked full time summers and part time (20-25 hours/wk) during school sessions. Imagine that happening today! o_O

Saw tanks in the streets, heard gunshots, and watched as state troopers set up road blocks and the national guard patrol the seats during racial riots. Sobering sights.

Got dumped by my first true love but met my wife to whom I've been married for almost 50 years.

The MoTown Sound was big when I was in HS I got to see some of the best including the Temptations and Martha and the Vandellas. My record collection included Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Four Tops, and Marvin Gaye. In college I added an entirely different genre like Vanilla Fudge, Janis, Paul Revere and the Raiders, etc.

Gaduated HS in 1965 and college in 1969. Had highest batting average on my HS baseball team and my bowling team won the county league high school championship. Even though I qualified for baseball & bowling, I always told people I earned my varsity club jacket and letter for bowling! Not many can say that! :)

Met a lot of wonderful people and I came of age in the 60's. For me they were great times. I'm old now and coming ever closer to the end of my life, but reminisce often and consider myself very lucky to have spent my youth in that decade.

Last edited:

2jakes

Sep 1, 2010
Elysium Fields
Wild times....
Thursday,
November 1963. San Antonio.
Skipped school and went downtown.
Bus fare was only 10¢ with school bus pass.
Saw the Presidential motorcade on Houston St.
Friday:
During lunch,we heard about the tragic event in
Dallas. The teachers were crying. There was not
much else on tv but news about the President.
I remember the funeral drums, Mrs. Kennedy
mourning.

Summer of '68.
San Francisco.
Stationed @ Castle AFB, near Merced, Calif.
On weekend pass I went to Haight & Ashbury St.
The entire block was filled with long haired young
people dressed in wild clothes. The air was pungent with the stench of incense & weed.
Love was free... but the girls were in need of a bath pretty bad. I remember the music & posters.
Went to see "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly in
theaters.
Bought a Navy Colt revolver.
Had no problem carrying it on board on my flight
to my next base in Guam.
Went on R&R and went to Tokyo. Bought a Nikon
Camera on the black market.
Aug. 9th, 1969.
That was the day I arrived back to Los Angeles
after my tour of duty was over.
Next day I read the news about the Sharon Tate/
La Bianca murders in L.A.
I was sad but glad that I survived the war.
It was wild and scary times indeed!
BTW:
Schwinn Phantoms & Western Flyers (X-53) were still available in hardware stores in the early 60s.
They were affordable old stock merchandise
that vendors were trying to get rid of. But everyone wanted the lightweight English bikes or the long handlebar Stingrays.
It was not until the '80s after watching ,
"Back to the Future", that I got into the heavy
classic bicycles with tanks.
My motorcycle days were coming to an end.
Back then all we had were the bicycle newsletters to keep in touch with the
world of vintage bicycles from the past
And this was the "bible" which I wore down
the pages reading about those lucky individuals
who owned them.
B1D6E4AD-A0CC-4D28-B1BB-6C0F71C7C7F7.jpeg

Last edited:

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 21, 2013
Rochester Hills, MI
The 60s.....Graduated high school in 1960, Army 1961 (volunteer), Vietnam 1963 (volunteer), got home 1964, got a job, firefighter, Detroit riots 1967 (I was in the 'burbs but they needed all the help they could get in the D), married 1966, son born 1967, daughter 1973.....still married to the same blind date (52 years).

FullSizeRender (63).jpg

redline1968

Oct 16, 2008
Seattle, United States
Cool models kits.. hot wheels ...slot cars.. no guns at a school fight ...great Beatles music...killer muscle cars.. Most hippies were cool but there were a few that rival Charles Manson in the dazed looks... oh ... great keggars...

49autocycledeluxe

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 29, 2017
fremont california
things were rough for me in the early 60's. at first I was I was unable to even speak, extremely uncoordinated and could not even walk or stand. soiled myself every day. took about 5 years to get my act together, just in time to start Kindergarten.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture