When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $40.00 lesson

-

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
As I noted in a previous post, I've been looking for a vintage step through bicycle to try and entice my wife into riding with me more often. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money, as I wasn't sure if she'd be keen on the idea, plus I don't really have any money. And I didn't want to travel far to buy anything, so that left me with diddly-squat. I finally came across a listing on Facebook Marketplace for a lightweight, step-through Schwinn. The listing didn't have any info, but from the pics I could see that it was a Breeze, and based on the movie reel sprocket was no newer than '68. I contacted the seller, who for once was EXTREMELY friendly, and agreed to meet yesterday after work. When I arrived we chatted about bikes, and he was wearing a Red Sox cap, and being a fellow Fenway Fan we discussed baseball a bit, and then he showed me the bike.

Standing next to it, I suddenly felt very tall, why did this bike feel so tiny?

And then it dawned on me-- this was a 24" Breeze. Crap. I wanted a bike that would be easier for my wife to handle, but I didn't want one THAT small. In all of my searching I hadn't come across a single 24" bike, so I didn't even think to ask. The pictures on his listing showed the bike without anything else around it for perspective, so it didn't look any different. But the seller was SO nice, and SO accommodating, I didn't have the heart to admit that I eff-ed up. So now I have a 1967 24" Breeze:

thumbnail_IMG_5691.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5692.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5695.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5693.jpg

It's a nice little bike-- little being the operative word-- albeit a bit sunburnt. But it's very clean, with only a bit of surface rust to deal with. So I guess I'll clean it up, lube it and stick some new tires and tubes on it and see what my wife thinks. Though I think I'll keep this part of the story a secret.

-----

😉 🚲

the reverse mounted mudguard certainly gives it an odd look

sometimes folks remove them for a "racier"/"sportier" look

in cases where they don't get lost or thrown out they occasionaly get remounted like this

---

did something similar with a junior tenspeed attempting to help a poster on another forum

after we exchanged a few messages it dawned on me dull "braine" that the cycle's wheel size might be 600A 😧

-----

-----

😉 🚲

the reverse mounted mudguard certainly gives it an odd look

sometimes folks remove them for a "racier"/"sportier" look

in cases where they don't get lost or thrown out they occasionaly get remounted like this

---

did something similar with a junior tenspeed attempting to help a poster on another forum

after we exchanged a few messages it dawned on me dull "braine" that the cycle's wheel size might be 600A 😧

-----
Yeah, I don’t know why they mounted the fender backwards, it certainly looks awkward in the photos.

Once you get it cleaned up and present it to your wife, maybe she'll give you a hint of what she would really like if the Breeze doesn't suit her fancy.
Be careful with that paint. My two 63 Varsitys lost a majority of paint when they got rained on. The paint was fried from being in the sun too long. I had them covered and the wind blew off the cover and they got a wee bit wet. The men's version is 10 times worse.

Lime Paint 001.JPG

Lime Paint 002.JPG

Once you get it cleaned up and present it to your wife, maybe she'll give you a hint of what she would really like if the Breeze doesn't suit her fancy.
Be careful with that paint. My two 63 Varsitys lost a majority of paint when they got rained on. The paint was fried from being in the sun too long. I had them covered and the wind blew off the cover and they got a wee bit wet. The men's version is 10 times worse.

View attachment 1679036

View attachment 1679037
Thanks for the tip, I’ll keep this one out of the elements for sure.

View attachment 1679036

View attachment 1679037

-----

thanks very much for sharing this example

with these flambouyants the undercoat often bonds to the frame better than the colour bonds to the undercoat

have worked on a number of Motobecane produced machines (Orly, Astra, Dynamax, etc.) from the 1960's and early 1970's which exhibited this same sort of weathering

their base coat is wonderfully durable and does a fine job of protecting the frame tubing against corrosion

Thanks for the tip, I’ll keep this one out of the elements for sure.

It looks like it's too late from what I can see. Note the fenders and other parts on the bike. I was going to clean these up since they were both decent untouched originals with dull paint and minimal rust. After being washed down with a little bit of Arizona rain, I have to figure out a different plan for these. Here's a before shot.

1963 Lime Varsity Pair 010.JPG

I think I have one of these post war monark 26" wheel frames and maybe 2 prewar womens frames free plus shipping if you want to build something for your wife. Only the monark photo right now

Back