When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Art Deco Racer" CCM Flyte project.....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
But I have always loved this style with more curve.... where can I get something like that?????

Bar3.jpg

Bar2.jpg

Bar1.jpg

Bar4-1.jpg

Ok. I have a saying in my workshop. It gets me into some time consuming and odd situations sometimes, BUT does at times, get me amazing results... "Perfection is near enough"
None of those Soma bars meet that standard when compared to these bars.... they are a singular thing of beauty. I think I will be making more jigs and bending up a set of curved bars like the ones in the attached picture..... I have the gear and I have the time. :)

bars rimages.jpg

I have another question for the collective wisdom of the group..... should I, and could I go to a one inch pitch skip tooth/block chain??
The racing CCM Flyer of the Flyte era did have skip tooth.
Can I do it by just taking every second tooth off a normal even numbered sprocket?? Can I even get a chain new?? Secondhand??
I think it would add some cool factor to the project...

Follow up question..... is slip tooth even the same as block chain or is block chain a version of skip tooth???
As you can probably tell I need some education on this topic!!

Picture attached of a CCM racing Flyer chain wheel.
And Flyer specs showing block chain.

Who will help the widows son??? :)

DSC01706.JPG

flyer-catalogue-page.jpg

Hells yeah you could roll skiptooth. Its the only way to roll. Not sure if you can find a big ol' stock skiptooth ccm chainring like you want for this one (which i highly recommend.... It's great having a high geared street bike) but you were talking about having one made anyway. If you do this you don't want to take every other tooth off a modern rear cog but instead replace the rear cog with one from ichibike which pops right on most modern rear coaster brake wheels. Make sure that you file down the edges of the ichibike cod and file the every tooth on all 4 edges a bit to a point to avoid wear on the skiptooth chain. Someone else can likely provide more insight on how to do this. Loving what you got going so far. If were u i would wait or look for a legit set of antique bars and new leather wrapped grips which show up from time to time in the parts for sale section. Have fun with it and most importantly get out and ride this one when finished!

Hells yeah you could roll skiptooth. Its the only way to roll. Not sure if you can find a big ol' stock skiptooth ccm chainring like you want for this one (which i highly recommend.... It's great having a high geared street bike) but you were talking about having one made anyway. If you do this you don't want to take every other tooth off a modern rear cog but instead replace the rear cog with one from ichibike which pops right on most modern rear coaster brake wheels. Make sure that you file down the edges of the ichibike cod and file the every tooth on all 4 edges a bit to a point to avoid wear on the skiptooth chain. Someone else can likely provide more insight on how to do this. Loving what you got going so far. If were u i would wait or look for a legit set of antique bars and new leather wrapped grips which show up from time to time in the parts for sale section. Have fun with it and most importantly get out and ride this one when finished!
Thanks man! I really love this group! I had never heard of "ichibike" so once I worked out that was a shop it became clear! Yes, buying one of their rear skip tooth sprockets is obviously the only way to go! Thanks, I would never have found that otherwise.
Thoughts on gearing?? 32/10 would give me 3.2 on 28 inch rims.... or 32/9 and I would be 3.5..... it that still rideable??
32/11 might best for me.... 2.9 ratio and 81.5 gear inches....

Got my heart set on the "perfect handlebars" now... so I have spent part of the afternoon designing the jig to make them. :)

Last edited:
I don't really know or understand gear ratios but I have 26 tooth front sprocket and 9 tooth cog on rear and to me it's perfect for long rides. I would think that with a 32 tooth skiptooth chain ring that an 11 tooth rear cog would be your best bet for a comfortable ride. You may run into clearance issues with frame with the larger chain ring or chain alignment problems like i did on my Colson good luck! https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/first-prewar-bike-finally.152000/page-3

I have been working out the logistics of the skip tooth sprockets and the racing block chain...
32 tooth front (have made) and 11 rear (old one adapted to my hub) will mean I am going to need a one inch pitch block chain 60/61 inches long! They are around in that length off tandems apparently... one will come to hand in time I bet. Or I will have to buy two shorter chain the same and join them. The hard part will be finding two old block chains exactly the same I expect? Anyway that plan is working out at this stage.

Back