When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Art Deco Racer" CCM Flyte project.....

-
I have a small amount of progress to report... a set of those black bars above are on there way from the USA new off ebay I bought a second have skip tooth rear sprocket also off ebay with 12 teeth. I have been looking for a 32 tooth skip tooth sprocket or a 64 tooth normal sprocket in steel that I could cut teeth off and have found nothing. I know one place that will make any chain wheel I design but tonight I realised I can in fact make my own! I just have to get a plate of the right grade of steel, lathe it round then mark it out and set it up in the rotary chuck in the vertical mill and mill the teeth out if I have the right sized side cutting bit. Might have to harden it after.... depending on the grade of steel. Then tig weld that ring on the outside of the genuine CCM chain wheel, put a series of holes in the new outter rim for the "racer look" and have it nickel plated. What could go wrong!! :)

Might be easier to get the teeth profile water jet cut then lathe the rest... but I would need the correct information to give the water jet guy....

Last edited:
Wanted for this project, a large skip tooth sprocket 30 to 35 teeth, centre does not matter as I am interested in the outer ring to attach (weld) to a CCM centre.
32 skip tooth would be ideal.
Anything considered. Maybe even bigger....
Anything out there??
Picture is a random 32 sprocket I found on the net...
[email protected]

skip tooth 32 teeth antique-toc-wood-rim-racing-bicycle_1_ad896aefe56efc204b1b5c2afd64d9712.jpg

I have been talking to a nice chap on a face book page for "Vintage Path Racers" about my stem choice and he recommended a different type and I think he is really onto something.
I was thinking of the BSA curved style but he thinks it would look better with the angled luged type with the curved forward part.... kinda like these pictures....

stem 86992753_2531224690484904_4855906702215610368_n.jpg

stem 528dde8c393cc374bd6456ff7d9ee414.jpg

stem Droop-stem-and-sprinter-bars.jpg

I will be back at my workshop tonight!!! So I can start doing some work on the bikes again and not JUST thinking and planning.... which I do enjoy... so the next step will be to mock up what I have and work out the skip tooth sprocket size looks "right" on the bike and do a full size drawing of the new CCM style sprocket that I will have cut.

Oh and with the curved angled stem I might even get on the lathe and make my own tapered tube (forward not vertical) just to ad a little more bespoke look... lathe is SUCH a great tool to have...

Away from the workshop again and busy planning and buying bits.... just bought a 14T skip tooth rear sprocket.... so I can now make the front even larger.... 40/14 is the current plan. 2.86 ratio..... the picture is a bike with that ratio or very close. I have not made the seat or bar stem yet... was busy over the winter building a radical 1920's Art Deco Roadster over at Ratrod bikes :)

Your vision and execution on this are very inspirational. I'll be following with unmasked envy.

Back