When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the bad day

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
well I went on a local bike ride this last Wednesday. about half way through the ride, while going around a corner through an intersection with a small dip filled with water my handlebars slipped and the stem broke. I slipped a pedal. I rode it most of the way around the corner but the weak Huffman springer folded and the wheel went sideways and dug in throwing me off the bike. after it was all over I was scuffed up a bit and a fair bit bruised but basically fine but the bike didn't fare so well. it bent the springer up, kinked the front fender, the stem is broken, the front wheel is really bent, the tank took a hit by the bars that were pushed down, the fork hit the frame hard enough to bend it, and it bent my n.o.s. horn some, and the seat frame is all bent up. here are the photos of the bike:
img_1438.gif

img_1439.gif

img_1440.gif

Dents and dings

Wow!
Scott, I'm so sorry to hear about your really bad day. What a bummer!
I'm sure that you had some really choice words while you were dusting yourself off from that little spill. That is the chance that we take when we ride these classics. They are so much fun to ride and to share with everyone else, that it makes it worth the risk of damaging them. It is just such a drag when the damage does occur.
Marty

Dang Scotty!!!! Glad to hear you are physically okay. Mentally????
Just kidding! Time to fix up your new $10 Schwinn cruiser and ride a reliable, well-built Schwinn instead of that stuff Huffman tried to pawn off as quality merchandise! Hope to see you soon.

John

Ouch...nice shot to the head John :D...glad you're OK Scott, every ride is an experience with these things...

ouch, one day i was trying to get on my bike and eat a doughnut at the same time well I started and the handle bars kicked right and stabbed me in the chest, threw me off the bike and I dropped my doughnut. i was sore where I was stabbed by the handlebars for 2 weeks left a big bruise. I was more pissed because it was in the middle of a gas station and all these people were watching me. did I mention I dropped my doughnut that i just only took ONE! bite out of.

Last summer out riding bike with my daughter we were riding next to cars and trucks parked along the street, I kept looking over my shoulder where my daughter was at. I did the shoulder check once too often and didn't see a camper truck parked in front of me with a large side mirror that stuck way out, I turned forward again, saw my face in the truck mirror from 3 inches away then bang, I was flat on the ground with my bike on top of me. Most humiliating accident ever.......:(

We've all had a crash at one time or another. Mine have thus far (knock on wood) all come while riding modern, supposedly more reliable bikes. When I was maybe 8 or so I was riding on my lawn on a Schwinn (Aerostar I think it was). I hit a big, hidden hole, and the front wheel did a 90 degree turn to the right, driving the handlebars into my stomach. The force was enough that the bars came through the handgrips and left a big bruise.

I collected myself and went inside and hung around. I used the restroom and went upstairs. I thought it a bit strange that I was peeing red, but went upstairs to bed anyway. A little while later I was roused and my parents made a big fuss and took me to the hospital. I struggled and didn't want to have blood drawn from my arms (afraid of needles), so they tied me down to a spine board of some kind and took it and ran a battery of other tests. Apparently I'd sustained internal injuries as a result of the accident, though they had healed up enough by all accounts by the time they ran the tests that night. They sent me home and I was fine after that. Ironically enough, the only damage to the bicycle was that the rim went out of true, the handgrip was busted and the handlebar was a bit bent. It goes to show you that sometimes you're lucky enough that a crash causing major damage to the bicycle doesn't do heavy injury. On the other hand you might have a crash that does only minor damage to the bicycle, but are unlucky enough to suffer palpable injury. I'd rather be straightening a tank or fenders than having blood drawn from me and tests done at the hospital.

The scariest incident I had though was on a Specialized Hard Rock a few years ago. It was brand new and supposedly all adjusted. I was headed uphill in Rosslyn towards the Metro station late on night. All of a sudden I felt the chain jump-- it headed right into the rear wheel, fouling everything up. At just that moment the bicycle struck the curb at a bad angle and I felt it start to catapult me. Unfortunately there was a plate glass store window only 3 feet away on the sidewalk. I was deathly afraid of going head first into that window with no helmet. Anyway just as I felt the bicycle launching me I jumped straight up off the pedals. I cleared the handlebars and flew forward with my feet under me. I landed hard on the balls of my feet and on my toes and took to big lurch-steps foward, stopping just in time to make gentle contact with the window. The bicycle flopped onto the sidewalk behind me. The bicycle sustained only minor damage in the end, but it was one of those accidents that nearly puts you out of commission for a long time.

So I guess in the end, the truest measure of a "bad" accident is how you come out. I'd rather be in the shop fixing the bicycle than in the hospital wrecked.

My big crash.

I went through the windshield of an Alpha Romeo back in 1980. I was blazing down a hill on my way home from work and I had to swing wide to go around a moving van that was parked at the curb. That is when I first saw the little red sports car. My first thought was that I could just fly right over the top of it and do a stunt man roll down the back side. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans. I ended up with a hundred and seventy five stitches in my face. The bike I was riding was a Fuji Special Road Racer that folded like a beer can the second I made contact with the bumper of the car.
The best part of the story is that the bike was not mine. I had borrowed it from a friend while my motorcycle was in the shop. The worst part was that not only did I have some expensive hospital bills, but now I had to buy my friend a new bike.

Last edited:
Last summer out riding bike with my daughter we were riding next to cars and trucks parked along the street, I kept looking over my shoulder where my daughter was at. I did the shoulder check once too often and didn't see a camper truck parked in front of me with a large side mirror that stuck way out, I turned forward again, saw my face in the truck mirror from 3 inches away then bang, I was flat on the ground with my bike on top of me. Most humiliating accident ever.......:(

LMAO thats so funny, reminds me of the story my dad told when he was in korea driving a duesenhalf (spelling might be off) he hit a guy on a bike with his mirror going like 45 he said the guy's back tire flipped up and he faced into the dirt.

Back