When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~ The Balloon Big Ten & How Do You Rank Them? ~

-
based on longevity throughout the period contnuely producing a top of line bike

1.schwinn-B-10e/Phantom
2. Elgin-Falcon/colorflow (columbia/Murrey)
3. Roadmaster Supreme-luxeryliner
4 . Monark-Silver-king/Super cruiser
5. Dayton-Safety Streamline-Dial a Ride
6. Colson-Commander/Evans
7. Shelby -Airflows
8. Rollfast-

If you are talking pre war only 5-7 might get a higher position

favorite model all time list no duplicate by any company

Top 5-
1. Shelby 38/39 Airflow
2.37 RMS
3. Colson 36 Commander
4.36-Dayton Safety
5. Elgin BB/SL

6. Schwinn Aerocycle

Two of my favorite not major players

4. Hendee 36 Indian
7. Evinrude

8. 34 Columbia Air Rider
9. Monark Silverking 37 Flowcycle
10. JC Higgins 54 100Colorflow-Murrey

based on longevity throughout the period contnuely producing a top of line bike

1.schwinn-B-10e/Phantom
2. Elgin-Falcon/colorflow (columbia/Murrey)
3. Roadmaster Supreme-luxeryliner
4 . Monark-Silver-king/Super cruiser
5. Dayton-Safety Streamline-Dial a Ride
6. Colson-Commander/Evans
7. Shelby -Airflows
8. Rollfast-

If you are talking pre war only 5-7 might get a higher position

favorite model all time list no duplicate by any company

Top 5-
1. Shelby 38/39 Airflow
2.37 RMS
3. Colson 36 Commander
4.36-Dayton Safety
5. Elgin BB/SL

6. Schwinn Aerocycle

Two of my favorite not major players

4. Hendee 36 Indian
7. Evinrude

8. 34 Columbia Air Rider
9. Monark Silverking 37 Flowcycle
10. JC Higgins 54 100Colorflow-Murrey

Jerry the one you list as "Hendee 36 Indian" was not made by Hendee it was made by A.G.B. In Oct 1923 the Hendee Manufacturing Co. changed its name to Indian Motocycle Co. Notice the spelling of "Motocycle" most reproduction Indian stuff will say "Indian Motorcycle Co."

Here is the article on the German made Indians https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1936-indian.79749/

V/r Shawn

I probably shouldn't be making a statement since I am not very knowledgable on the company history Interesting article and a technicality basically. I ve owned about six differant bikes and four motorcycles. Currently i have three bikes.

Yes i knew of the name change but Indian Motocycle company was still owned by the same family after the name change I was more than aware the bike was made in Germany by a subcontractor not a true merger like Evans Colson or sale like AMF and Roadmaster .

A few years back a collector contscted me with several letters and memos from the owners that were found most were discussing the name change and some discussion on this 36 German bike. No literature but there are some European posters as I have a client with one in their winery art collection.

Both the non major used a cushioned frame....Evinrude and The 36 Indian.

Two bikes highly treasured the Texas Rocket and the Bowden are two bikes i never could get behind other than building out a Rocket bike since it was basically a frame The Bowden i never owned and passed on many of them early on. Rollfast the only bikes i ve had were Hoppy bikes but i have a 36 Balloon Trike that along with my Mickey trikes are my most prized pieces in my collection . I ve shown trijes in the Bike of the Year Competion against bikes and taken as high as third with them a Colson Commander restore by Bob Strucel.

Thanks for the info and link to article as it was interesting but not much more than the basic theroy following this bike for many years before I came along. Not everyone even likes the bike.

Back