Chicago area west
Post war Fake Schwinn cantilever with Huffy chain wheel and Shimano 333 3 spd
ck BB or rear left drop out for ser #

Last edited:

Canuck

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 28, 2019
Canada
Mixed bag bike... took the best of what was available and became the ultimate post war cruiser. Gotcha.

Ever since three hours ago I always wanted a chrome bike, so now I can cross that off my list.

Canuck

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 28, 2019
Canada
So if it’s a fake Schwinn cantilever, I’m assuming this means that as Schwinn cantilever was a very popular and successful bike, other companies began to copy the design. I have one of those copies? I also assume I’ll be able to figure out who made this frame once I get the bike and can look for serial numbers or other markings.

The HD and Pierce were my great grandfathers. This bike was in a different part of the barn, and I remember it from when I was a kid. Sometime in the mid eighties I first saw this bike when my grandfather showed us an old beat up bike that he had just had fixed up and entirely chromed. He was quite proud of it. It may be a mixed bag, but it meant something to him. It gets cleaned up and parked beside the other two in the living room, so long as my marriage can take it.

Last edited:

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Schwinn had a patent on the cantilever frame until sometime in the 50's. After the patent expired all the manufacturers started producing their version of the cantilever frame. Huffy was one that had the plugs in the cantilever bars but these 60's frames aren't an exact match to your frame. Huffy's cantilever bars pass by the seat tube much higher and the drop out area is not the same.

Hawksters thread...... https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/car-themed-huffy-bicycles.137579/#post-919306

1566059686018.png

piercer_99

I live for the CABE
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
Looks like a Huffy Silverjet frame, with a schwinn style springer on it.

The Huffy Silverjet and the Coast King (by Huffy) were the same bike, as pictured here. (my former 1963 Coast King)
63 Coast King.jpg

Very similar frame design to my 1978 Huffy with an aftermarket schwinn styled springer.

20190331_181031.jpg

Still a cool bike and a good rider if you choose to keep it.

Rivnut

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Did you notice that the front rim is different than the rear rim?

Adamtinkerer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 8, 2008
Western North carolina
Schwinn's canti frame came out in '38, and it must've had a 20 year exclusivity. The copies arrived in '58.

KingSized HD

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 23, 2013
Herndon, CA, United States
If you’re looking to clean up the chrome, an oxalic acid bath would work wonders on it. If you need OA tips check the “Restoration tips” tab

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture