When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The barn that keeps on giving

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So if it’s a fake Schwinn cantilever, I’m assuming this means that as Schwinn cantilever was a very popular and successful bike, other companies began to copy the design. I have one of those copies? I also assume I’ll be able to figure out who made this frame once I get the bike and can look for serial numbers or other markings.

The HD and Pierce were my great grandfathers. This bike was in a different part of the barn, and I remember it from when I was a kid. Sometime in the mid eighties I first saw this bike when my grandfather showed us an old beat up bike that he had just had fixed up and entirely chromed. He was quite proud of it. It may be a mixed bag, but it meant something to him. It gets cleaned up and parked beside the other two in the living room, so long as my marriage can take it.

Last edited:
Schwinn had a patent on the cantilever frame until sometime in the 50's. After the patent expired all the manufacturers started producing their version of the cantilever frame. Huffy was one that had the plugs in the cantilever bars but these 60's frames aren't an exact match to your frame. Huffy's cantilever bars pass by the seat tube much higher and the drop out area is not the same.

Hawksters thread...... https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/car-themed-huffy-bicycles.137579/#post-919306

1566059686018.png

Looks like a Huffy Silverjet frame, with a schwinn style springer on it.

The Huffy Silverjet and the Coast King (by Huffy) were the same bike, as pictured here. (my former 1963 Coast King)
63 Coast King.jpg

Very similar frame design to my 1978 Huffy with an aftermarket schwinn styled springer.

20190331_181031.jpg

Still a cool bike and a good rider if you choose to keep it.

Schwinn's canti frame came out in '38, and it must've had a 20 year exclusivity. The copies arrived in '58.

If you’re looking to clean up the chrome, an oxalic acid bath would work wonders on it. If you need OA tips check the “Restoration tips” tab

Back