When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The bicycle community has lost another one

-

SKIDKINGSVBC

I live for the CABE
To those who knew him and those who didn't, or heard of him Gary Porter of Kirkland Washington has passed away on Wednesday November 24th.Gary Porter and some of the other Northwest bike guys would travel every year down to Oregon and California for bike swap meets for years .. Gary had one of the premier collections of vintage Schwinn bicycles, including an incredible collection of Schwinn Parmount's. Gary used to have vintage bicycle shows and swap meets in his Kirkland Washington back yard from the early 1990s till the early 2000s . Bike parts, vintage motorcycles, hot rods, tether cars, antique toys, Gary had some cool stuff. He will be missed ...

To those who knew him and those who didn't, or heard of him Gary Porter of Kirkland Washington has passed away on Wednesday November 24th.Gary Porter and some of the other Northwest bike guys would travel every year down to Oregon and California for bike swap meets for years .. Gary had one of the premier collections of vintage Schwinn bicycles, including an incredible collection of Schwinn Parmount's. Gary used to have vintage bicycle shows and swap meets in his Kirkland Washington back yard from the early 1990s till the early 2000s . Bike parts, vintage motorcycles, hot rods, tether cars, antique toys, Gary had some cool stuff. He will be missed ...
Oooooo noooooo we in SW Washington/ and Oregon from the ORIGINAL "Cascade Cycle Club" are saddened to hear this news.
Gary was not only just a "good guy", but he was one of the Northwest OGs in several different directions, he will be missed.
On a side note, I am adding a Vancouver bicycle show and swap here in Vancouver in May 2022 here at this location... please pass not only the word of this happening, but my name and phone number. - Jim Scott 360-907-2683
It will be held here; www.waaamwest.com

This 1948 Schwinn Paramount Racer, came from the Gary Porter collection.

I’m sure, it’s had a storied list of owners in its past, but for me, it will always be known, as the Gary Porter bike.

Thanks, for taking such good care of it Gary!
Rest assured, it is being loved and well cared for.

The Aerocycle in the front also came from Gary Porter's collection. I first saw this bike at one of his "super secret" bike swaps he used to hold in his backyard about 15 years ago. At that time he didnt want to sell it but i had a friend in Seattle who kept a bug in Gary's ear about my interest in the bike. I also sent Gary a couple of letters over the years about a potential sale. When Gary's illness became so bad that his family had to step in and sell his stuff, i was fortunate enough to get the Aerocycle. The bike was obviously an important part of his extensive collection and is the same in mine. Rest in peace Gary...

20210623_152609.jpg

This is the bike I got from Gary Porter in 2012..1939 Schwinn as pictured when I got it home.The story behind it it classic.First saw the bike in 1992 at one of Gary's backyard bike swaps on display N.F.S ..What intrigued me was the 1940 Tacoma bike plate on the front.So over the years I pestered Gary every time I saw him to sell me the plate..No No and No was the response..Fast forward to 2012 I get a call from a friend of Gary's saying if you want the plate you need to buy the bike..So I and a friend hytell it up to Kirkland to get it..It was upstairs buried behind some of his Paramounts.At this point we kinda knew Gary wasn't well as when he started to remove some bike about two Paramountsflew off the hangers came down on us , Gary acted as though didn't care. Quite the experience, that was the last time I saw Gary..That license plate is known as the four hundred plate..Well worth it..
Rest in peace Gary...

Last edited:
Back