When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Bike Index

-

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
I haven't read anything here about the Bike Index.
If everyone knew about it and would use it, it could be an invaluable tool for those that are looking for previously stolen bikes or to check and see if the bike you are wanting to buy has been previously stolen.
Also simply a great place to document your bike(s).

I haven't read anything here about the Bike Index.
If everyone knew about it and would use it, it could be an invaluable tool for those that are looking for previously stolen bikes or to check and see if the bike you are wanting to buy has been previously stolen.
Also simply a great place to document your bike(s).

Thinking this would be more for your daily commuters and not so much your vintage collectibles. V/r Shawn

Thinking this would be more for your daily commuters and not so much your vintage collectibles. V/r Shawn
Whys that?
I've read posts here about storage areas robbed of collector bikes without the owner knowing right away. And that's only one of the scenarios I can imagine.
I would think it would be more for the collector / expensive bike owner rather than the $89 average bike owner.
I would even argue that the average daily commuter bike has no place there.

I guess I got something different when I looked at the site. I have most of my bikes 'registered' here and on my web site. I also maintain a spreadsheet with all the pertinent data in case something happens. V/r Shawn

my buddy had 2 regular bikes stolen in the last couple years. the best part? after the first one he bought a lock and chain, and they stole that too because he "was only going in for a minute" when the second one got stolen with the lock and chain wrapped around the seat post.

I guess I got something different when I looked at the site. I have most of my bikes 'registered' here and on my web site. I also maintain a spreadsheet with all the pertinent data in case something happens. V/r Shawn
Had a chance to use it about a year ago when a friend of mine had his electric tri-cycle stolen from his yard. It had to be taken in a truck. It turned up on CL a month later missing some parts and a few added. We called the cops, and the person who had it, had bought it for $150 the day after it was stolen.
My friend had the sales receipt and the Bike Index post to prove it was his when he listed it. The cops wanted a theft report. That is generally a waste of time but he had one. He also marked it as stolen on the bike index and had pics on there to prove its likeness.
Sorry to the lady who bought it stolen, but he took it back home..... only to be stolen again 3 months later in front of a Department store.....
Tucson is real bad for stolen bikes, they find hordes of them tucked away around town, stolen by gangs of homeless folks. Many end up at the local swap meet or stripped and abandon. Later sold in bulk at police auctions.

Mine are double locked in a locked area within a locked garage, within a monitored area.
A pain in the arse, but things are stolen from around here all the time.
What else can we do?

my buddy had 2 regular bikes stolen in the last couple years. the best part? after the first one he bought a lock and chain, and they stole that too because he "was only going in for a minute" when the second one got stolen with the lock and chain wrapped around the seat post.
Around here the thieves have battery powered grinding wheels and industrial snips in their backpacks. The only locks that work here are the $100 battleship chains and locks. 20lbs of steel to carry around.
But if you dont, you better not step away from your bike.
If you do, and you leave it in front of a store in a bad area, the thieves will cut your seat or gnarl the paint and decals if they cant steal the bike.
Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
I never leave my bikes anywhere anymore.... never.

Same around Oceanside, homeless camps are piled with them! My neighbor has had 6 bikes stolen in the last year, some locked, some drunkinly left outside....

Back