When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The CABE CONFESSIONAL Bike Skeletons in the Closet - Share Your Tragic Bicycle Decisions, Regrets

-

OC_Rolling_Art

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This can be about vintage bicycles, cars, furniture, anything collectible or historically significant really.

This is my confession. I'll go first...

In an effort to cleanse my soul, I come to you with palms facing up, expressionless and with great humility - for I have regretted a decision I made as a young, naive enthusiast ever since I figured out what I had done. The very first "show quality" balloon tire bike I built was a wanna-be postwar Schwinn "Panther/Autocycle". I cobbled parts together and built this Panther-Stein using a postwar straightbar frame, painted S2s wheels I laced with the biggest spokes you have ever seen on ND rear and Schwinn front hubs, locking springer, Sweetheart setup, and a Phantom front fender for good measure. Since it was to be a show bike, my first batch of parts went to a plater (long defunct Saturn Plating) in Long Beach for some triple chrome. It was 1981 and I was 17 years old.

The centerpiece of the bike was a beautiful prewar smooth tank I purchased from Larry of Recycled Cycles in Newport Beach. It was a glossy NOS tank in a deep robin's egg blue with a teardrop shaped cream pinstripe on both sides (in the shape of a two-tone Mead Ranger tank). Not a single scratch on it anywhere. The price was $37.50, about $5.00 more than other tanks he had for sale. I eagerly took it home. Did I say NOS?

I had been inspired by uber polished and painted machines put out by the Pedal Pusher, painted by the likes of John Weider. I was hooked on the look. I thought I was doing the right thing, making the proper next step. I had saved my money and spent about $140 on parts and maybe another $85 in plating and thought I was the shiiiite as I was putting it together later.

The main problem I had at the time (besides not being a post-war embossed tank or trying to build an actual Schwinn model) was that the pleasing blue color of the tank did not fit with the black and cream paint job I was planning, so it went in the box of parts I dropped off at the plater!

Oh the horror!!! $%&!?+% !!!

When I matured a bit I began to actually burn calories thinking about the horrific mistake I had made, which has lasted to the present day. I have long since learned to appreciate original paint anything, even a trash can, and learned my own lesson the hard way. I have often thought about the tank in all of it's glory, images only in my mind, now fleeting. I am guessing that today if kept under wrap all these years it would be the single finest tank in that color scheme on the planet. Oh well. I rode it proudly for many years, and did show the bike on several occasions in the '80's, and brought home two trophies with it.

There, I said it. What is your biggest regret? What piece of history did you erase or utterly destroy? Accidentally? On purpose? What rare bike part did you sell without knowing what it was first? I am all ears because I can't be the only one!

What is the skeleton in your closet?

My First Bike 1981 4.jpg

My First Bike 1981 1.jpg

My First Bike 1981 5.jpg

My First Bike 1981 2.jpg

My First Bike 1981 3.jpg

My First Bike 1981 6.jpg

This can be about vintage bicycles, cars, furniture, anything collectible or historically significant really.

This is my confession. I'll go first...

In an effort to cleanse my soul, I come to you with palms facing up, expressionless and with great humility - for I have regretted a decision I made as a young, naive enthusiast ever since I figured out what I had done. The very first "show quality" balloon tire bike I built was a wanna-be postwar Schwinn "Panther/Autocycle". I cobbled parts together and built this Panther-Stein using a postwar straightbar frame, painted S2s wheels I laced with the biggest spokes you have ever seen on ND rear and Schwinn front hubs, locking springer, Sweetheart setup, and a Phantom front fender for good measure. Since it was to be a show bike, my first batch of parts went to a plater (long defunct Saturn Plating) in Long Beach for some triple chrome. It was 1981 and I was 17 years old.

The centerpiece of the bike was a beautiful prewar smooth tank I purchased from Larry of Recycled Cycles in Newport Beach. It was a glossy NOS tank in a deep robin's egg blue with a teardrop shaped cream pinstripe on both sides (in the shape of a two-tone Mead Ranger tank). Not a single scratch on it anywhere. The price was $37.50, about $5.00 more than other tanks he had for sale. I eagerly took it home. Did I say NOS?

I had been inspired by uber polished and painted machines put out by the Pedal Pusher, painted by the likes of John Weider. I was hooked on the look. I thought I was doing the right thing, making the proper next step. I had saved my money and spent about $140 on parts and maybe another $85 in plating and thought I was the shiiiite as I was putting it together later.

The main problem I had at the time (besides not being a post-war embossed tank or trying to build an actual Schwinn model) was that the pleasing blue color of the tank did not fit with the black and cream paint job I was planning, so it went in the box of parts I dropped off at the plater!

Oh the horror!!! $%&!?+% !!!

When I matured a bit I began to actually burn calories thinking about the horrific mistake I had made, which has lasted to the present day. I have long since learned to appreciate original paint anything, even a trash can, and learned my own lesson the hard way. I have often thought about the tank in all of it's glory, images only in my mind, now fleeting. I am guessing that today if kept under wrap all these years it would be the single finest tank in that color scheme on the planet. Oh well. I rode it proudly for many years, and did show the bike on several occasions in the '80's, and brought home two trophies with it.

There, I said it. What is your biggest regret? What piece of history did you erase or utterly destroy? Accidentally? On purpose? What rare bike part did you sell without knowing what it was first? I am all ears because I can't be the only one!

What is the skeleton in your closet?

View attachment 1842873

View attachment 1842874

View attachment 1842875

View attachment 1842877

View attachment 1842878

View attachment 1842879

I must also confess...that build of yours...was one of my dream builds that never happened early on..
always wanted to have a panther but with the phantom fenders...

Back in the day, when Olympic Coatings was about a block from my house, I would take every straightbar frame I found over to get electrostatic/powder coated.
It was thick and looked like it was dipped in plastic.
You could practically hit with a hammer, and it wouldn’t even chip.
We all thought it was the ultimate.
I cringe now, about all those somewhat decent original paint bikes that I demo’d over at Del Ray Chrome and Olympic Coatings.

Back