When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cabe Quiz for prizes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Had lots of fun with the Ranger quiz for the 1916 book so maybe we can make this a permanent and fun thread.
Make up your own rules but be CLEAR about them. This quiz today is open to domestic United States mailing addresses only:(......
The prize is the most coveted Number One issue of the Cabe back when it was still in printed form .Sept. 1994. This is NOT a reprint. It's the real deal and it is hard to find.
022.JPG

Below there are 16 questions. The answers are limited to the selection provided. There is only one right answer to every question. That answer will be more right than the rest if you are in doubt. Select only one answer.....A...B...C... or D.
The very first person that posts all the correct answers and is the first to attach it to this thread will win Cabe issue number one. The second person in line will win something too.... I haven't decided yet. I'll have to dig through the trash tonight . Rest assured I will find something for you. ;) The rest of you gets diddly squat , but hopefully there aren't sore losers and we still had fun.
REMEMBER!!!!.... somewhere in your post you MUST have the words:" I love the Cabe" to win.....
I hope others in the future will add to this thread and have similar games and free prizes.....cause it's fun!
Here we go...... When you post your reply just list numbers 1 through 16 with the correct letter answer [ A- B C or D] behind them. Let's see how fast some lucky Cabe girl or boy can win this.........

# 1 The chain ring below would more than likely come off a:
A Monark
B Elgin C John Deer
D Columbia
001.JPG

#2 The chain ring below more than likely came off a:

A Schwinn Hornet
B Iver Johnson
C Shelby
D Colson
003.JPG

# 3 The spring fork below came off a:

A a washing machine
B Shelby Air Flo
C Evans -Colson
D A really ugly looking bike.
005.JPG

# 4 The spring fork shown below came off a girl's Murray . It could be correctly used without any modifications on a :

A Girl's 1950 Monark
B Girl's 1939 Schwinn Hollywood
C Boy's 1955 X53
D Boy's 1964 Schwinn Stingray
008.JPG

# 5 If a seller at the Memory Lane bike swap is selling you an original 1953 J.C. Higgins boy's Color-Flow with this springer shown below on it.

A It's called a Bee- Line fork .
B. It's the wrong fork for that year bike because of the small added truss rods..
C 1953 is the only year spring forks were not offered on J. C. Higgins ,so the seller is mistaken.
D This springer was only offered on the girl's Color flow model.
010.JPG

# 6 You are at a bike swap and you spot this nice looking Pre- War straight bar frame with this original looking Chrome fork shown below. There is no head badge or Id. on the frame. The Frame most likely is a :

A Hawthorne
B !938- 39 Shelby
C Ranger
D 1938 Schwinn Motorbike.
012.JPG

#7 Look closely at the Pre-war Schwinn springer in the photo below. What is the major difference , other than the steering tube length of this springer and a 1946 Schwinn springer.

A The truss rods are fatter on the 46
B The spring is two coils less than the 46.
C The radius of the upper fork ends is greater than that of the 46.
D In 1946 Schwinn did not offer the spring fork because of post war rationing.
013.JPG

# 8 What year was the Tinker born? Hint: His first 26 inch Schwinn debuted that year with a new model. There is a photo of me somewhere riding it on at least two Cabe .threads.

A. 1946
B 1952
C 1949
D 1959

#9 The photo below is a:

A Delta strato-lite headlight switch
B J. C. Higgins Bat light switch
C Western Auto X53 headlight dimmer switch.
D frame mounted Delta rear carrier taillight switch.
014.JPG

# 10 The spring fork assembly shown below came off a :

A Shelby
B. Huffy
C Huffman
D Monark
016.JPG

# 11 The spring fork assembly shown below came off a :

A 1947 Huffman
B 1939 Hawthorne Comet
C 1955 Rollfast
D 1948 Hawthorne Comet
017.JPG

# 12 The Chain Guard pictured below is off a:

A Schwinn
B Monark
C Huffaman
D Colson
018.JPG

#13 This bike pictured below is commonly referred to as a Colson :

A Rib-tank
B. Bread box tank
C Snap Tank
D Fish tank.
019.JPG

#14 If you needed pedals for your pre -war bikes and spotted these pedals shown below in a box at a swap for $3.00 a pair would you :

A Pass them by because they're junky looking
B Buy the red ones.
C Buy only the ones with the kool reflectors on them.
D Try to get both pairs of them for a dollar because they are obviously girl's pedals .
023.JPG

#15 A fellow at a garage sale is selling his dad's all original" Schwinn Black Phantom and you spot this sprocket pictured below on the rear wheel. You would tell him:

A " Wow that is really neat looking"!
B " You're a stinking liar pal, whatta you trying to pull. You want a punch in the mouth?"
C " What are those little holes for?"
D " You know, I think at sometime in the past the rear wheel has been replaced."
026.JPG

#16 The bike pictured below is called a:

A Hawthorne Speedster Rocket
B Hawthorne Rocket
C Monark Rocket Beaver
D Monark Rocket
027.JPG

010.JPG

013.JPG

I have those C.A.B.E. newsletters.
I didn't know they were that rare!
They are all scattered in a room
where I keep all that stuff in boxes.
Back then, selling and trading was done mostly by talking on the phone.
There wasn't much images in the
classified section of the newsletter.
Just a description.
If you were serious the seller would
mail you photos of the bicycle.
I have several from vendors that are
no longer around.
One of my favorites is a 1919 Indian bicycle in fine condition.

Last edited:
Back