When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Continental

-
BOING !!!!

Might be the coolest Continental CLUBMAN !!! alive. (in my estimation)

I will never speak to you again if you dont take a million pics and post them right now.

Gotta see the magenta Clubman..........

Sweeeeeeet
I believe the correct term for that era of paint is Opalescent Violet, correct? And the bike needs research and work before I want to post much more. These just happened to be the most flattering shots I got before returning to my current cleanup project. This one is up next though.

I believe the correct term for that era of paint is Opalescent Violet, correct? And the bike needs research and work before I want to post much more. These just happened to be the most flattering shots I got before returning to my current cleanup project. This one is up next though.

Yes, Im sure its an opalescent.
Very Nice

From a 1951 brochure.
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 12.18.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 12.18.25 PM.png

I'm pretty sure that's the Red Opal of that time period. Pretty color for sure! And that piece has a BB shell with the Tandem pre stamped serial number that was stamped sometime between 1/19/1949 and 7/18/1950.
That was my first thought on the T too. And the funny thing is that's where the fender came from, a tandem. The bike has the thin dropouts and the super thin tapered kickstand too. It's definitely not red though, I've got a 50s Traveler with the Opalescent red on it too(underneath the yellow house paint). 55 was the first year I came across with Opalescent color list. Although the post with the mid 50s Opal Violet Traveler looks considerably darker. Beautiful paint tones for sure!

My Continental has come from under the sheet and is now ready to get ridden on the Lake Pepin Tour next weekend.
Ive got a custom made rack and bags for the back and the gearing is adjusted for scooting along in third pretty easy.
These are the first set of wheels I ever put together myself from scratch and it didn't turn out bad at all. I may get a truing stand and do my own from now on. The front hub is an NOS Bayliss Wiley "Continental" so I thought it proper, and the S3C in the back is because I cant pull a lever with my right hand. Jockey wheel on the top bar because the custom rack I have for it grabs the seat tube between the stays. The Miller Headlamp has a battery pack and LED bulb with an on/off switch on the side. Don't ya think that the feather guard belongs?... Considering the decals are a perfect match.
This is the way it will stay now except I will put on a Quadrant shifter and the correct f/fender when I find them. The pedal rubbers are coming apart so I'll use a different set for the tour and eventually see if I can get new rubbers for them. Maybe a set of period white grips.
I like this one pretty well because I dont have to worry about scratching it or getting it dirty. Its already that way and I kinda like the old weathered look. Hard to tell real well from the pics though. It is quite photogenic. That color pops and covers the rust and scratches from more than 10 feet away. A 10 footer.
All-in-all, a good addition to what will become the stable of fable.

Last edited:
Back