When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The crusty '58 Spitfire restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RatRodJames

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey guys, I'm about to start the slow restoration process on a particularly crusty '58 Schwinn Spitfire that I picked up yesterday for $75. I began to disassemble it last night, but the headset and one of the pedals was rusted on so I couldn't get them off. They've been soaking in WD-40 over night so maybe I'll get lucky today. I plan on putting it back basically as it came off the factory. I know the rack didnt come from the factory, but it appears to be period so I might leave that. As I said, this is going to be a very slow restoration as I have many other projects going on, but I will update as often as possible with as many pictures as I can. Also, I'm looking for paint ideas. As far as I know they only came in black and red correct? I'll either strip it down with stripper or sandblast it. Does anyone have any pics of a nice original Spitfire? Also, what are they worth restored/crusty and beat crap? Here are some pics as it was when I got it, it's in a few more pieces right now.

20190111_174732_HDR.jpg
20190111_174750_HDR.jpg
20190111_174815_HDR.jpg

Does anyone know where i can get the stencil set to do the creme accents on the frame? Also, the chain guard decal?

Cool project! I’ve seen the stencil sets on eBay before. I think the Spitfire was also offered in like a baby blue color, I don’t know the Schwinn color name.

I've seen both of the decals on ebay now and again. Middleweight Schwinns in crusty shape are under $100, especially lower end models like this. Nice originals can go for $300 up, and not really worth any expensive pro resto work. But a fun one to tinker with! Here's an og one.
1960-schwinn-spitfire.jpg

I saw that ad earlier when I was looking for paint schemes on Google. It's funny to think that I paid $30 more for it than it cost brand new! I took the coaster brake apart yesterday and I noticed that the only marking it had was the "NEW DEPARTURE" on the arm. It also didnt have an oil fill cap, but the innards appeared to be that of a Model D. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great. I also began sand blasting the frame and such. I'm pretty sure that it's been painted over about six times..... I'll post some more pics in a bit.

$75 ..Great score! Looks pretty complete as well. Keep us posted.

I still have a good bit of blasting to do, but I'm waiting for a nicer day. My little Tractor Supply sandblaster tries really hard and does a pretty ok job, but it would be really nice to have a bigger, more powerful one.
20190113_081712_HDR.jpg
20190113_081721_HDR.jpg
20190113_081731_HDR.jpg

Back