When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The crusty '58 Spitfire restoration

-

RatRodJames

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey guys, I'm about to start the slow restoration process on a particularly crusty '58 Schwinn Spitfire that I picked up yesterday for $75. I began to disassemble it last night, but the headset and one of the pedals was rusted on so I couldn't get them off. They've been soaking in WD-40 over night so maybe I'll get lucky today. I plan on putting it back basically as it came off the factory. I know the rack didnt come from the factory, but it appears to be period so I might leave that. As I said, this is going to be a very slow restoration as I have many other projects going on, but I will update as often as possible with as many pictures as I can. Also, I'm looking for paint ideas. As far as I know they only came in black and red correct? I'll either strip it down with stripper or sandblast it. Does anyone have any pics of a nice original Spitfire? Also, what are they worth restored/crusty and beat crap? Here are some pics as it was when I got it, it's in a few more pieces right now.

20190111_174732_HDR.jpg
20190111_174750_HDR.jpg
20190111_174815_HDR.jpg

Does anyone know where i can get the stencil set to do the creme accents on the frame? Also, the chain guard decal?

Cool project! I’ve seen the stencil sets on eBay before. I think the Spitfire was also offered in like a baby blue color, I don’t know the Schwinn color name.

I've seen both of the decals on ebay now and again. Middleweight Schwinns in crusty shape are under $100, especially lower end models like this. Nice originals can go for $300 up, and not really worth any expensive pro resto work. But a fun one to tinker with! Here's an og one.
1960-schwinn-spitfire.jpg

I saw that ad earlier when I was looking for paint schemes on Google. It's funny to think that I paid $30 more for it than it cost brand new! I took the coaster brake apart yesterday and I noticed that the only marking it had was the "NEW DEPARTURE" on the arm. It also didnt have an oil fill cap, but the innards appeared to be that of a Model D. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great. I also began sand blasting the frame and such. I'm pretty sure that it's been painted over about six times..... I'll post some more pics in a bit.

I still have a good bit of blasting to do, but I'm waiting for a nicer day. My little Tractor Supply sandblaster tries really hard and does a pretty ok job, but it would be really nice to have a bigger, more powerful one.
20190113_081712_HDR.jpg
20190113_081721_HDR.jpg
20190113_081731_HDR.jpg

Back