When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The deed is done!

-

morton

I live for the CABE
I no longer consider myself a cyclist.

Some of you may remember my recent posts offering a ton (literally) of bike stuff. No takers on CABE, but an ad on CL brought a call from someone 3 hours away who made the purchase. It took 2 men with a bit of help from me and my wife and daughter almost 4 hours to load at 16 foot rental box truck. And boy was it loaded…..crammed full of my precious spares, tools, lights, etc. that I had collected over the past 25 years.

I did retain some tires and tubes and 3 bikes (2- 3 speeds and 1- 12 speed) so that I can still ride when able.

I lost my shirt financially on the transaction, but the fellow who bought everything works with youths fixing up bikes for a charitable enterprise, so at least my stuff went to a good “home.”

This was not something I wanted to do but increasing health issues have taken a serious toll on my riding. Five years ago I was doing about 2000 miles a year, but in 2020 so far I’ve done only about 140.

These days 5 miles is an epic journey for which I pay dearly for in pain the next day. Parkinson’s, sciatica, spinal stenosis, multiple hernias, and a weakness in my legs I never felt before are the culprits. Two weeks ago I rode 3 miles, sat down with a class of iced tea and promptly fell asleep for 2 hours!

I always said I wanted to wear out not rust out and now it seems I’m about worn out. I’m a bit surprised it came this early (I’m 73) as I weigh the same as when I graduated from college and played sports and worked out in the gym my entire life.

I’ll still visit CABE from time to time, but won’t have much to post now that I’m not riding or collecting anymore.

Anyway, it’s been a real joy commenting, reading, and learning from CABERS. Many thanks to Scott and the fine people who make this website the best.

My advice to you is listen to Freddie, “…..get on your bikes and ride” as the day may come when you can't.

Note: I was going to put this in the Lounge but annotation indicates the Lounge is for non-bicycle topics.

My advice to you is listen to Freddie, “…..get on your bikes and ride” as the day may come when you can't.
Thanks for the advice; It's a gift, Ride it.:D
Stay active as you can; at least walk as much as you're able.
Keep coming back here to let us know how you're doing.
This isn't a Lounge topic.;)

Some of you may remember my recent posts offering a ton (literally) of bike stuff. No takers on CABE, but an ad on CL brought a call from someone 3 hours away who made the purchase. It took 2 men with a bit of help from me and my wife and daughter almost 4 hours to load at 16 foot rental box truck. And boy was it loaded…..crammed full of my precious spares, tools, lights, etc. that I had collected over the past 25 years.

I did retain some tires and tubes and 3 bikes (2- 3 speeds and 1- 12 speed) so that I can still ride when able.

I lost my shirt financially on the transaction, but the fellow who bought everything works with youths fixing up bikes for a charitable enterprise, so at least my stuff went to a good “home.”

This was not something I wanted to do but increasing health issues have taken a serious toll on my riding. Five years ago I was doing about 2000 miles a year, but in 2020 so far I’ve done only about 140.

These days 5 miles is an epic journey for which I pay dearly for in pain the next day. Parkinson’s, sciatica, spinal stenosis, multiple hernias, and a weakness in my legs I never felt before are the culprits. Two weeks ago I rode 3 miles, sat down with a class of iced tea and promptly fell asleep for 2 hours!

I always said I wanted to wear out not rust out and now it seems I’m about worn out. I’m a bit surprised it came this early (I’m 73) as I weigh the same as when I graduated from college and played sports and worked out in the gym my entire life.

I’ll still visit CABE from time to time, but won’t have much to post now that I’m not riding or collecting anymore.

Anyway, it’s been a real joy commenting, reading, and learning from CABERS. Many thanks to Scott and the fine people who make this website the best.

Note: I was going to put this in the Lounge but annotation indicates the Lounge is for non-bicycle topics.
With all due respect, you will always be a cyclist in my book.

Glad to hear, that you were able to lighten your load, and that your old possessions will go to a new generation of enthusiasts.
Also glad to hear, that you still kept a few just for the possibilities.
You can’t go for a ride if you don’t have a bike.
So, it’s always a good idea to keep at least one around, just for that possibility.
But, I am very sorry to hear, that your heath has deteriorated to the point, that those possibilities have become harder to realize.
Don’t be a stranger around here at the Cabe.
You’ll always have the ability to cycle with us vicariously until that last key stroke.
Thanks for the updates on your condition.
We’re always here for you.

If you still have a bike or two and you can ride at least a little, you're still in the game. You've only got one ass and one set of legs, so one bike is as good as many if you want to ride. As Yogi said once, "It ain't over 'till it's over."

You don't have to be a cyclist in order to be a bicycle enthusiast. Nor do you need to be a collector to enjoy their classic beauty and rich history.
Please check in from time even if it's to share photos of your dog.
We enjoy your company and appreciate your contributions to the cabe.

Once a cyclist, always a cyclist. Even if you're no longer riding. Doesn't every person who served in the Marine Corp say "there's no such thing as an ex-marine!" Same thing applies here. All that knowledge that you acquired is a gift to the rest of us.

Thanks for all the kind words. Will be checking in from time to time if a topic arises on which I might be of some help.

I don't regret time spent in the saddle or in the shop cause I think the enthusiasm is what kept me out of a wheel chair this long.

And of course if I see a mint Bluebird or Radio Bike on CL for 50 bucks, I will go for it! :cool:

Last edited:
Back