When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The differences between 1937 and 1938 Fleetwoods

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
Ok, first thing, I hope I don't upset anyone by going contrary to popular belief but since I got my streamliner I have been kinda obsessed with it. if it upsets anyone that I post photos of these amazing bikes that have been gleaned from the web and other places let me know and I'll take them down.
I have a 1937 Fleetwood that I got from ebay some time ago. I started where lots of novices start, with Uncle Leon. He told me I didn't have a 1937 Firestone until he told me I did. He was kinda right, there are differences but he was also wrong. I am not going to blindly let anyone make a pronouncement like that, and with some diligence anyone can find most of this information themselves. thats when I started to study and here is what I have found. streamliners were offered through Firestone from 1937 to 1938. All originals I have ever seen have had the straight rear bars also, so far as far as I know, all the originals that have been found with headbadges intact have been Fleetwood badges. I have seen a Dayton badged bike with the curved bars that was pretty convincing but had some questionable oddities to it. I am still of the opinion that it is an incredibly cool fake someone made. other than that I havent found any differences in the frames from 1937 to 1938. all the other differences I have found are in the accessories. WARNING!! most bicycle companies were notorious for using left over parts until they ran out so exact dating by accessories is precarious at best. lots of people explain away lots of wrong crap on bikes by the excuse that they didn't always come as they were portrayed in the catalogs. I agree to a point. I have seen lots of the originals and have all the catalogs and other literature available but have found the catalogs to be the most reliable source.

first most of the catalogs show the twin Delta Silver Rays But most Fleetwoods Came with a fender mounted aluminum torpedo.

The fenders were Macaulley deep and are hard to fake since the front have the indentation for the initial plate and the rear has no holes for braces. also they are different in length from the several other sets I have seen or had. even different from other sets from Huffman bikes I have. the Stainless fenders are kinda difficult to place as ShutterbugKELLY's is the first ones Ive seen that are truly convincingly original.

The stem in 1937 was the Same on all the Huffman made bikes and is most commonly called a "putter" stem as it looks like the head of a golfing Putter. they were weak and broke easily so starting in 1938 a Wald no.3 was used for years. the 1937 Firestones used a different stem than the other Huffmans. Firestone had 3 "speed lines" and the others had only one (at least thats what the catalogs show). most of the repops are the single line type because when Jerry made them all he had was the single line variety.

The chain guard was the same on both years though I have seen a 1937 with the "mesh" guard original on it. Technically the Huffman bikes came with the mesh guard and the other guard was strictly Firestone issue from 1937 to 1939. I have seen a few Twin Flex Firestones with the "Crows Beak" guard but for the most part it would have been the Firestone guard. Again the 3 "Speed Lines" motif was used. All the Huffman guards from this era had a weakness at the rear mount and were taken off and or thrown away after breaking and are fairly rare and expensive. Many bikes you find will have the guard missing but the rear strap still attached with another guard installed next to it.

the pedals most common were the Persons Streamlined but I have also seen Torrington Streamlined on them.

the seat used mostly was the long spring messinger though mine came with the same Troxel seat as the Schwinn Aerocycles and I have since been pursuaded by some of the literature and photos of originals that both were used. most likely when they ran out of something at the factory they ordered comparable replacements if the supplier was out of stock of the standard equipment, going back to original when the other came in.

the tanks to my finding are slightly different. 1937 is the first year for the "Zephyr" tank and it was used 'til at least 1940 maybe even some in 1941. so far I have found 3 varients. in 1937 the vents at the front are stamped a little lower than the later ones. I found this out when I decided I would use the "best" two tank halves I had on mine and when I put them together you could immediately see they were different. 1938 and 1939 seem to be the same and the ones used later are held into the bike in a totally different way at the front. Again the 3 "speed lines" thing.

the rack from 1937 to 1938 are a little different. like the fenders they were made by Macaulley and would seem to be fairly common except for the small opening at the mid way point on the side of the rack for a strap to hold your school books down. 1937 has a rear reflector area, 1938 this was done away with and the skirt of the rack is the same at the back as on the sides. Many bikes used these racks but the correct ones have the openings at the sides.

I am open to changing my opinions on any of this stuff if compelling evidence comes in such as the stainless fenders which 'til recently I was very skeptical about.:D
hope this helps. ask if you need and I will help if I can.
Scott:cool:

Last edited:
some 1937 bikes:
bc_1.gif

9768_1053_1RD0QHWZ6.gif

193720Firestone20Fleetwood20Supreme.gif

vbulletin

Last edited:
I had been wodering what that hole in the side of the rack was for.

I was checking out the tanks on our Huffmans, and they're all different. I measured the distance between the tip of the middle gill and and the start of the middle rib.

Fleetwood...
2.8cm (Right side)
3.7cm (Left side)

Twin-Flex...
2.2cm (R)
3.0cm (L)

Belknap...(same measurements as the Twin-Flex, but has the bump in front instead of the mounting brackets.
2.2cm (R)
3.0cm (L)

I didn't measure the height of the gills, but they look the same on the Twin-Flex, Belknap, and the left side of the Fleetwood. The gills on the right side of the Fleetwood are noticeably higher.

Kelly :)

one more difference

one more thing I think is different,
In 1937 the headbadges said "Fleetwood" and had the archer.
In 1938 the headbadges said "Firestone Fleetwood" and also had the archer.
In 1939 the headbadges said "Firestone" and had the archer, but the trees and some other details are different.
also if you're going to restore one of these badges they are white and dark blue all three years, at least the 4 I have are.

Last edited:
Hey Scott,
I just checked our headbadge. It has the archer and just says Fleetwood, and still has sections of dark blue on it.

Kelly :)

maybe yours is a later 1937 or an earlier 1938. there was much overlap of parts I imagine while they used up left over parts, or when they ran out and started using the next years parts rather than ordering a new batch for the last few bikes. again these were just my conclusions based on my observations etc. here is a copy of my copy of the late 1937 early 1938 firestone catalog. notice the title in the upper left corner, Firestone Fleetwood. it has what I would call the 1938 rack though it has what I would also call the 1937 stem. Firestone put out 2 catalogs per year so maybe we should look at these bikes as being made during 4 half years. first spring summer 1937, next fall winter 1937-1938, then spring summer 1938, finally the fall winter 1938-1939 which I don't think I have a copy of and may not have any streamliners at all as they would have had the Twin Flex as the top of the line for 1939. I have a copy of the summer spring 1937 catalog but I think I got it from Dave Strombergers site and he gets kinda bugged if I post them because I removed the "Nostalgic.net" from them.
pg18.gif

Last edited:
I will check tomorrow!!!

I am going to check out my bike tomorrow I beleave it is a 37 you think it is a 38 it does have a 37 date code Morrow Hub for sure! on it and you say a 38 rack I will check the badge to see color and details My bike is in the pic (Black and White) you posted the one with the tree!!

I do not beleave the "37" racks are right I have 5 different versions of that rack 4 from 1939-41 bikes.. Schwinn, (2) Columbia and Rollfast all original paint.

I think this is a great article you made me obsess over this too...

When we are done we can pick another!!!

I think certain people need to step up to the plate and share the knowledge!!!

Or the write the book they always say they are going to write!!!

I have more pics of some you missed from Dave's site, Ever since I saw the B/W SS on there in 2001 I have obsessed over it as well I bought the poster from the arizona exhibit too on ebay!

I know I paid alot for it but I just love this bike!!!:cool:

I checked!!!

Man, there ain't no one on this board on the weekend!!! DEAD :(

Well my badge just says fleetwood at the bottom it is in pretty good shape too! :cool:

I am sure mine is a 37 also!

Back