When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The end of the Line

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
It's nice when you drive down a side street you've never been down before and spot an old bike. The end of the line for an Evans-Colson that's had it's last ride. Nice yard art.It reminds me of an old steam locomotive parked on a siding, waiting for the cutting torch. I think I would have spray painted it red, instead of pinky-grey. I took this picture about an hour ago.
IMG_2931.JPG

The thing is that an old steam locomotive can't, practically, be put back on the rails. It can only be a museum exhibit, a piece of industrial sculpture, or scrap metal. By contrast, the bike in question could, perhaps, be fixed up and put back on the road. Then it could be kinetic sculpture, transportation, and exercise equipment. However, the probability of the bike being repairable decreases with each rain shower.

This was the end of the line for this old lady.I was going down a street trying to get to a main street and I saw a guy putting this next to the curb with his garbage cans ! I asked if he was throwing it away and he said it was his mother in laws and didnt want it.I took it and cleaned and polished it...
Schwinn 1949 cleaned.JPG

It's nice when you drive down a side street you've never been down before and spot an old bike. The end of the line for an Evans-Colson that's had it's last ride. Nice yard art.It reminds me of an old steam locomotive parked on a siding, waiting for the cutting torch. I think I would have spray painted it red, instead of pinky-grey. I took this picture about an hour ago.View attachment 1028416
I really dont get the monochrome bike in the yard thing? I guess old bikes look best to me in working,nice used condition. Actually just working condition.

AMF. Probably a late '50's Skyrider. I've heard that with the old steamers the boiler was the critical item. On the Mississippi steamboats they would build new boilers for every new boat, but the engines were often re-used several times. Engines and running gear can be re-built, but building a new boiler from scratch would likely be cost prohibitive for most people. As Jay Leno said "In the old days labor was cheap and technology was expensive. Now technology is cheap and labor is expensive."

Last edited:
while that very well could be the end of the line for that bicycle it is not due to the condition but the lack of appreciation for old bikes from the owner

Back