When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The epic revival of the Worst Cycle-Truck ever

-
Cool! I was wondering about this bike the other day when I saw it in the background of a post in another thread. Glad you have most of what you need. Hopefully someone will see this since it will be at the top while you dig in and hook you up with a fender! :)
Thanks for joining! Yeah I will be building this one as close to stock as possible, only taking liberties on the basket depending on what i find before its done. I dont have a correct front wheel but Im not gonna push the originality factor on the wheels, Im just going to use the correct era of wheel but I do have an S2 rear, just not heavy duty. I feel pretty positive about this bike at this point so its time to work!

I’m starting this thread to document something you guys will either love or hate but its happening. In this thread you will find the rebirth of what has to be the worst Cycle Truck every revived (that I know of). This bike was part of a group of bikes I rescued that sat in huge piles for MANY years and are some of the rustiest bikes I’ve ever owned, and guess what….I’m going to save every single one cause I love what I do and I’m crazy.
The bottom 6-8 inches as well as most of the rear stays and drops are toast, like BEYOND toasted, as well as the bottom few inches of the fork. The metal has begun to blossom into layers like old wood and the serial number is long gone. By all original owner accounts, the straight down tube, forward facing drop outs and the fact that this bike was always skip tooth (despite having the wrong ring now), it is believed this bike was built between 51-54 and is an S2 large basket model, before the half-pitch, curve lower bar change. I will be using a 55-59 chain guard on it though since its what I have available in my parts pile…

I have a 55 Schwinn Starlet frame/fork in my collection that is a perfect match for the rotten parts and I will be grafting that rear frame to this one to save it as well as changing the kickstand mount to a fender mount. Also the bottom part of the fork and drop stand holes will be fixed as well. I’m a competent welder/fabricator so this wont be a huge stretch to some vehicles I’ve worked on. I should also note that this bike will be put back to mostly correct as well as recreating the cut off basket ears and making new basket brackets to match the originals.

Bringing bikes like this back to life is something I live for and this one will live again very soon…..updates coming this weekend!

Enjoy the circus!

View attachment 1303821

View attachment 1303822

View attachment 1303825

View attachment 1303826

View attachment 1303827
Hey Chris, good luck with your rusty, crusty Cycle Truck. I'm really happy you found this long forgotten piece of Schwinn history and are willing to put forth the effort to get this beast back to rideable condition. RideOn. Razin.

Hey Chris, good luck with your rusty, crusty Cycle Truck. I'm really happy you found this long forgotten piece of Schwinn history and are willing to put forth the effort to get this beast back to rideable condition. RideOn. Razin.
Thanks alot man! Yeah im one of the few folks who would waste a second on this bike other than hanging it on a wall and forgetting about it. I hope to have put a 100 miles or so on this thing by the time 2021 is over.
Thanks for checkin it out!

Sounds really nice, but not a big fan of any thing white. Enjoy. Razin.
Lol...well to be accurate its mostly rust color'd with some dirty white in between....:p I dont do "nice and shiny" and most everything I own short of my daily looks like this. So the Cycle Truck isnt new territory...

bus.jpg

Back