When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Golden Era of Baseball & Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
More from the web...

albert-spalding1.jpg
alspalding1.jpg

Way back when the 20th Century ended, the SABR people got together and picked the most significant contributors to Baseball in the 19th Century. Henry Chadwick won, there was a tie between Harry Wright and Albert G. Spalding for second. I’m not sure I’d place Chadwick above Wright and Spalding, but it’s a matter of taste. There’s certainly no argument that Spalding was a major contributor to the origins of Major League Baseball. He owned the Chicago White Stockings (now the Cubs), promoted a 19th Century around-the-world tour to tout baseball, founded a major sporting goods company that bore his name, was instrumental in forming and promoting the Abner Doubleday myth (OK, so not everything he did was positive), led the attack that crushed the Brotherhood union (see what I mean about not everything being positive), and finally made the Hall of Fame. But that’s not what I want to dwell on. Spalding was also a heck of a ball player.

Spalding was an early amateur and later professional who caught the eye of Harry Wright. In 1871, the National Association of Professional Base Ball Players was formed and Wright took over as manager of the Boston team. He convinced Spaulding to come on board as the team’s pitcher. It was a great choice, because Spalding became the premier pitcher in the Association and dominated the league in a way that no other pitcher has ever duplicated.

In the five years the Association existed, Spalding pitched in 282 games, starting 264. His record? How about 204-53 for a winning percentage of .794? Now this was an era when there was only one pitcher and he threw from 45 feet away, but those are still astounding numbers. In the five years of the Association Spaulding won, in order, 19, 38, 41, 52, and 54 games. He lost, again in order, 10, 8, 14, 16, and 5. Read that last pair closely. In 1875, Spaulding went 54-5 (.915 winning percentage). There are some caveats here. His team, the Red Stockings, were a lot better than their competitors and the number of games played by the team increased every year. But part of the reason the team was a lot better than everyone else is because they had Spalding and no one else did. His ERA for the five seasons was 2.21 (ERA+ of 131). He struck out only 207 men in the five seasons, topping out at 75 in 1875. But the pitching rules were different then and there simply weren’t a lot of strikeouts. He has one of my favorite set of numbers that, to me, help illustrate just how different 1870s baseball was from the modern game. For the life of the Association he gave up 1552 runs, only 577 earned (37%). That means a lot of guys were hitting the ball off him, and a lot of his teammates weren’t catching them. As a hitter he averaged .323 with an OPS of .721 (OPS+ of 121).

He pitched one complete season in the newly formed National League (1876). He went 47-12 for the White Stockings (Cubs), had an ERA of 1.75 (ERA+ of 140), completed 53 of 60 starts, plus one relief job (he didn’t get the save), had eight shutouts (which was tough in 1876), and the Cubs won the first NL pennant (wonder if the Cubs could use Spalding today?). The next season he appeared in four games, started one, won it, picked up a save, but spent most of the season as the first baseman. In 1878 he played one game at second base, became club secretary, then he took his money and bought the club and went on to glory (or infamy if you were a Brotherhood fan).

Spalding is one of those guys that it’s difficult to like. He was cold, aristocratic, tough-minded, and in the minds of many of his players a tough SOB. But he was, despite all that, one great pitcher.

Spalding along with Col Pope did their best to Corner the market.

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 11.41.33.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 11.42.10.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 11.49.32.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 11.41.33.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 11.42.10.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 11.49.32.png

albert-spalding1.jpg

alspalding1.jpg

Last edited:
Some more advertisements.
Looks as though baseball was a common pairing with bicycles. America's two favorite past times.
yzyhy8yp-1.jpg

jahuhamy-1.jpg

Racycle Baseball Team

Racycle Team.....

RacycleBaseball.jpg

Looks like some of the Same guys who were working at Miami in 1906

Miami_Cycle_Employees_1906.jpg

Here was the Miami Cycle baseball Team in 1905

Miami_Cycle_Baseball_Team_c_1905.jpg

RacycleBaseball.jpg

Miami_Cycle_Employees_1906.jpg

Miami_Cycle_Baseball_Team_c_1905.jpg

Last edited:
I have that same image of the Racycle team on the top but it was indicated that it was a San Francisco based team sponsored by Racycle (or the distributor).

The images I have put on the thread are from the Middleton OH library collection and the middle image is a photo of the miami employees of that same year. They have a few more interesting images - one of the miami wheel building section with the guys building wheels and another of the merkel motorcycle line a few years later and the little kid in the middle of the baseball pic looks like one of the guys in that motorcycle line tooo! I assume these are all local as they are part of a local George c Crout estate collection donated the library. I also assume the ball club was similar to the eclipse ( morrow ) team as the industrialists would have wanted to keep up with their counterparts. Possibly they were part of the Ohio - Penn League....though they are not listed as far as I can tell. I'll look into the San Francisco connection and see if I can find anything - I could easily be wrong. I have been researching the league at this time for quite a while now - my great grandfathers brother played on quite a few of the PCL teams on the west coast as well as knocking around as a busher in the catching position.

http://middletownlibrary.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/searchterm/Racycle

Very interesting patent info on Spalding Fordsnake ...

I have that same image of the Racycle team on the top but it was indicated that it was a San Francisco based team sponsored by Racycle (or the distributor).

Last edited:
Interestingly enough i think there my have been a few Racycle teams around in the early days of ball...... This Racycle team was an Amateur Team in Southern CA around 1908 & 1909, 1910. This was at a time when Professional Leagues were having issues. Many amateur teams & leagues where highly attended and many of the Professional players / Bushers also played these teams. This Recycle Team was in the Interurban League & Valley League - maybe others.

This is taken from the LA Herald Aug 1909

LA herald 1909 Aug 1 Pt1.png

LA Herald 1909 Aig 1 pt2.png

LA Herald 1909 Aug 1 Pt3.png

LA Herald 1909 Aug 1 PT4.png

LA Herald 1909 Aug 1 Pt5.png

LA Herald 1909 Aug 1 Pt6.png

LA Herald 1909 Aug 1 Pt 7.png

Recycles June 1909

Here they are in 1909 June 21 - from the LA Herald

LA Hearald 1909 June 21 pt1.png

LA Hearld 1909 June 21 pt2.png

LA Hearld 1909 June 21 pt3.png

Oct 10 1908 - LA Herald

Oct 10 1908 LA Herald.png

Oct 24 1908 - LA Herald

LA herald 1908 Oct 24.png

July 4 1910 - LA Herald

LA Herald 1910 July 4.png

LA Hearald 1909 June 21 pt1.png

LA Hearld 1909 June 21 pt2.png

LA Hearld 1909 June 21 pt3.png

Oct 10 1908 LA Herald.png

LA herald 1908 Oct 24.png

LA Herald 1910 July 4.png

Last edited:
​... demonstration of the 1920s mania for BASEBALL..before television & radio was just starting to be popular !
34i1xt5-1.jpg

close ups ...Yankees 5-1
2nsp8o5png-1.jpg

330dbabpng-1.jpg
idy8gmpng-1.jpg

btw: I use my "repo" baseball cards on my 1920s Iver...for show only.
20asx7l-1.jpg

( I just can't bring myself to letting it hit the spokes to get that "motorcycle" sound that I stupidly did as a kid !)

Wow, somebody must have made a fortune selling hats back then!

Back