When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Good Ole Days.

-

PAValentine

Finally riding a big boys bike
Two different bicycles.
The first must have been a Snyder built. Either Hawthorne or Elgin???? I got it for a Birthday during WWII and it was used, so I don't have any idea where my parents got it. I suspect it may have been built up from parts at some bicycle shop, because during the war, metal was scarce, and new bicycles were not like this one. New wartime citizen bicycles were not balloon tire. And, my parents couldn't afford a new bicycle for me anyway. Preachers didn't earn much.
That is the first four pictures. I am the chubby kid. The very first picture is me with my NEW bicycle...tinted by my Mom!

The next two pictures are obviously of a CWC bike. Roadmaster or Western Flier??? Take your pick.That bike was used as well, but I do not recall how I came to have that one or what became of the first one. One of the mysteries of my life I suppose...

The very last picture is what ended my bicycling peddling days in those West Virginia Hills....
Paul tinted.JPG

Ridin the Ridge.JPG

IMG_20150725_0004a.jpg

Three Peddlers.JPG

Backwater Boys.JPG

Snowcycle.JPG

IMG_20150724_0013.jpg

IMG_20150727_0022.jpg

It would go all of 35 mph, downhill, with a tailwind, but NO Peddling!!!

Two different bicycles.
The first must have been a Snyder built. Either Hawthorne or Elgin???? I got it for a Birthday during WWII and it was used, so I don't have any idea where my parents got it. I suspect it may have been built up from parts at some bicycle shop, because during the war, metal was scarce, and new bicycles were not like this one. New wartime citizen bicycles were not balloon tire. And, my parents couldn't afford a new bicycle for me anyway. Preachers didn't earn much.
That is the first four pictures. I am the chubby kid. The very first picture is me with my NEW bicycle...tinted by my Mom!

The next two pictures are obviously of a CWC bike. Roadmaster or Western Flier??? Take your pick.That bike was used as well, but I do not recall how I came to have that one or what became of the first one. One of the mysteries of my life I suppose...

The very last picture is what ended my bicycling peddling days in those West Virginia Hills....View attachment 1039311

View attachment 1039312

View attachment 1039313

View attachment 1039314

View attachment 1039315

View attachment 1039316

View attachment 1039321

View attachment 1039322

It would go all of 35 mph, downhill, with a tailwind, but NO Peddling!!!
Man I dig these old pictures. Very cool. Looks like different handlebars in the 3rd pic and a rack added in the 4th pic. So cool to see a picture that old with parts just like what I have on one of my bikes. Thanks for sharing.

Man I dig these old pictures. Very cool. Looks like different handlebars in the 3rd pic and a rack added in the 4th pic. So cool to see a picture that old with parts just like what I have on one of my bikes. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah. I was changing the bikes up all of the time. Over the years I had more stuff on them than you could imagine.
Sometimes I wonder how I ever managed to ride it up those hills
I was always doing something different to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back