When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Great Tread Thread - Pre-1933 Non-Black Tires

-
Hi @New Mexico Brant Brant,

I suspect the design of Vitalic tyres was a registered item. The US Design and Trademark registry is not playing nicely this morning with me ( I keep getting server error 500), but the following information may be of interest if you don't have it already.

Continental Rubber applied for the mark Vitalic on 21st Feb 1914, but they claimed it was first used commercially 15th Sept 1913. They retained the mark until at least 1975.

Best Regards,

Adrian

1647502797386.png

1647502973845.png

Search results from https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk

I can breathe a sigh of relief! This was purchased at an auction from a single poor photo. The sign was framed and matted. The matting covered the Vitalic Tire, Continental Rubber, Erie, PA script at the top and the classic Vitalic tread pattern on the bottom of the sign. Fortunately it wasn’t trimmed under the matting and no restoration. A huge thanks to Steve for his assist in retrieving this for me. @Velocipedist Co.

88E333E3-8CBA-42C3-A113-61BDBFA15F71.jpeg

Last edited:
Back