When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "HOLY GRAIL" of Schwinn MTB frames!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Xlobsterman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I posted this in the Schwinn forum, and thought I would repost the link to it here:

I am seriously thinking of building this one up? But I want to do it with all NOS old school period correct parts that I am sure may be a bit hard to source out? I did find a parts list with part numbers for the parts that were available for the bike during that era. Does anyone have these parts in their parts inventory???????

21.jpg

Sounds like a great project. I have parts from that era, but nothing NOS. Derailleurs, cranksets, thumbies, calipers and levers turn up NOS on Ebay from time to time. The hardest to find (and priciest) items will likely be NOS period-correct rims. There will be lots of competition for them from vintage mtb'ers and those with 26" BMX cruisers

Sounds like a great project. I have parts from that era, but nothing NOS. Derailleurs, cranksets, thumbies, calipers and levers turn up NOS on Ebay from time to time. The hardest to find (and priciest) items will likely be NOS period-correct rims. There will be lots of competition for them from vintage mtb'ers and those with 26" BMX cruisers

Yea, I have also pondered the thought of building it up with all new school parts? That would be much easier, and probably less expensive to do.

That is also a good option. I sold an '88 Sierra frame to a friend some years ago, who proceeded to have it built up with a Shimano SLX 10-speed group, and period-correct calipers/ brake levers. It really turned out great and is a blast to ride. The rear triangle had to be spread a few mm to accommodate the wider rear hub and cluster

I did something similar with the '92 Trek 750 below. Velo Orange crankset, SLX derailleurs and shifters, 10 speed wide range cassette, and a modern Phil rear hub. It's a nice marriage of the old and the new. The Velo Orange crankset has a great old school look but with narrower spacing and it indexes with modern Shimano Rapidfire pods.

20240204_160541.jpg

That is also a good option. I sold an '88 Sierra frame to a friend some years ago, who proceeded to have it built up with a Shimano SLX 10-speed group, and period-correct calipers/ brake levers. It really turned out great and is a blast to ride. The rear triangle had to be spread a few mm to accommodate the wider rear hub and cluster

I did something similar with the '92 Trek 750 below. Velo Orange crankset, SLX derailleurs and shifters, 10 speed wide range cassette, and a modern Phil rear hub. It's a nice marriage of the old and the new. The Velo Orange crankset has a great old school look but with narrower spacing and it indexes with modern Shimano Rapidfire pods.

View attachment 2007948

Another thought I had was to find a High Sierra in the right condition, and swap all the parts over from that!

684SchwinnSierra.jpg

Another thought I had was to find a High Sierra in the right condition, and swap all the parts over from that!

View attachment 2007980
Congrats! It looks like a fun project. The 84 High Sierra would be a good substitute for all the correct parts (if you can find one that's still stock). The biggest differences between the 83 frame set options and the 84 High Sierra is the crankset. The 84 uses the Sugino TAT, but it has 175mm arms with the triple 28-38-48. From looking online, Ebay has a couple Sugino's that have 170mm arms with the triple 28-45-50, but they are AT and RT's, not TAT's. Everything else would be really close or spot-on, including the chrome-moly triangular handlebar.

You could also look at Bridgestone MB-1's, Miyata Ridge Runner's, or Specialized Stumpjumper's of the same year for parts. They all seemed to be similar from catalog pages found online (but you probably already know that).

Back