When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Hub Thread

-
all of the pages should work now.
Originally Cameron was doing the cutout hubs as a project for my site. they're very cool, glad he kept the project going.

Last edited:
Great rebuild tutorial on that site! Do I remember correctly that the New Departure Model C is the pretty much the same internally as the Model D? I have a Model C that I need to service and I want to make sure I do it right.

Should be the same process.

Does anyone have a copy of he hub breakdown of a New Departure "C" hub. Let me know

The closest I've seen is the parts list. It would be nice to have a better one for reference completeness. The differences in the parts list are very minor and the catalogs even allow free interchange of the parts not named specifically in the parts list. The discs in particular differ in terms of the thickness of each disc. The Model C hub has thicker braking washers than the Model D, which makes each disc less prone to crack, but also reduces braking surface and power. The second parts catalog linked says everything except the spring interchanges between the C and D. I've actually found that depending on which catalog you're looking at, the number of parts interchanging described varies for some reason. The picture linked here says nothing about the spring being different, but the second link says the spring is different, yet the other parts interchange. Even if they're very similar, perhaps a cut away comparison is in order to put it to rest. I suppose were I rebuilding one now, I'd use the guide for the Model D (the sources seem to agree it's very similar) and watch for anything that looks different from the cutaway guide from Rat Rod.

new-departure-c.jpg

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle197/picture673

Last edited:
For Pre-1933 New Departure (including Model D backwards) and Corbin hubs

For Pre-1933 New Departure (including Model D backwards) and Corbin hubs, see my thread at:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...-Dating-Project-Need-everyone-s-help-pre-1933

There are documented dates produced, hub diagrams, patents, pics, etc. from the start of coaster brakes in 1897 up through the start of the ND Model D which came out in December 1933 in that thread. It includes ND & Corbin front hubs where info has been found.

Last edited:
New Departure Model A, Model C, & Model D Parts Diagrams

New Departure Model A Parts Diagram

newdeparturea-1.jpg

New Departure Model C Parts Diagram

newdeparturec-1.jpg

New Departure Model D Parts Diagram

newdepartured-1.jpg

Back