When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Hub Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I’m refreshing a ND model D hub and ordered some replacement parts. The transfer spring I received is quite a bit different than the one installed. It’s slightly narrower with a different shaped protrusion:

f417fe9658726d3842ee96bb5c4854bd.jpg

Has anyone seen this on replacement parts? My original one seems fine so I may just use it. Also, the last time I rebuilt this model hub I ended up with a slight shift to the left when the tire was mounted in the frame (it wasn’t centered). What could cause this?

Finally, the disc pack in this hub only measures .71" even though it has the correct number of discs (12 steel and 11 bronze). I assume its correct to add another of each to get the thickness of the pack to .75", correct?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m refreshing a ND model D hub and ordered some replacement parts. The transfer spring I received is quite a bit different than the one installed. It’s slightly narrower with a different shaped protrusion:

View attachment 1258757

Has anyone seen this on replacement parts? My original one seems fine so I may just use it. Also, the last time I rebuilt this model hub I ended up with a slight shift to the left when the tire was mounted in the frame (it wasn’t centered). What could cause this?

Finally, the disc pack in this hub only measures .71" even though it has the correct number of discs (12 steel and 11 bronze). I assume its correct to add another of each to get the thickness of the pack to .75", correct?

Thanks

the transfer spring is an aftermarket spring, they work just as well.

about the shift to the left, I would say something is loose inside, whether slop in bearing or another internal.

Did you set the axle to 1-1/8" past the dust cap on the non drive side?

regarding the disc pack, the answer is yes to your question..

The shift to the left was caused by excessive dishing on that side due to the spokes being trued unevenly. I redid the truing and it was good to go.

It’s all back together, thanks for the additional info.

The shift to the left was caused by excessive dishing on that side due to the spokes being trued unevenly. I redid the truing and it was good to go.

It’s all back together, thanks for the additional info.

misunderstood your shift to the left comment, I thought it was the hub kicking left when braking.

glad you rectified it

Just wondering, are the sprockets interchangeable between ND, Morrow and Bendix screw types?

Just wondering, are the sprockets interchangeable between ND, Morrow and Bendix screw types?
Morrow and Bendix, yes, and I believe Musselmen too. I believe New Departure has their own thread, but I have been able to get an ND cog on a Bendix hub, but not a Bendix cog on a ND hub. I'm not sure how that's possible, but I tried a few times and got that result.

Reactions: bon
Morrow and Bendix, yes, and I believe Musselmen too. I believe New Departure has their own thread, but I have been able to get an ND cog on a Bendix hub, but not a Bendix cog on a ND hub. I'm not sure how that's possible, but I tried a few times and got that result.

Maybe the same thread pitch but different thread depth? Shallow peaks might fit in deep grooves, but not the other way around. That's my guess.

New departure axles and axle nuts are a standard thread, but slightly oversize and normal nuts wont thread on. My guess is they did the same thing to the cog.

Armless coaster brakes. I have three. They all appear the same but have no makers mark or different makers marks.
Musselman model 1931.

Musselman model 93.

No makers mark

I’ve rebuilt two and they work, the one with no makers mark needs to be rebuilt so the brake catches, a common problem it seems as all three had non working coaster brakes when I got the bicycles.

CCCAB2BB-4634-435C-A3C8-E903A9B956BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back