When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Kelly Handlebar Co

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just a few pictures of bars and gear...

$_57.JPG

On a 1910 Peirce from Daves site

1910piercechainlesscl13.jpg

1910piercechainlesscl2.jpg

on an 1895 Wolf

1895 Wolf with kellys 2.jpg

1.jpg

EarlyHandlebars.jpg

1906handlebars1.jpg
1906handlebars2.jpg

Last edited:
Kelly Bar Models

Kelly seemed to rely on three splitter models and one Reversible model - he offered two stems.

In 1908 Kelly made three styles of divided bars - The No 3…. 1 inch Stem - 18 inches wide ( 20 inches when level ) They sold for $2.30

Kelly bars no 3.png

The No 4 - Racing Bar 2 1/2 inch forward extension - 23 inches wide ( 25 inches wide when level ) They sold for $2.50 in 1908….They claim these were for racing & club men

Kelly bars no 4.png

The No 5 - California. ! inch forward Extension - 20 inches wide ( 22 inches when level ) They sold for $2.30 in 1908… These were the Bar that was used by the Masses!

Kelly bars no 5 - california.png

The No 7 - Reversible Bars…… These could be changed from a drop to an upright position held by a friction clip.

22 1/2 inches wide - 1 inch forward stem - $2.30 (in 1908)

22 1/2 Inches wide - 2 1/2 Inch forward stem - $2.5 (in 1908)

Kelly Adjustable.png

1 inch & 2 1/2 inch forward stems

Kelly stems.png

Side by Side

Bars Side by side.jpg

Kelly bars no 3.png

Kelly bars no 4.png

Kelly bars no 5 - california.png

Kelly Adjustable.png

Kelly stems.png

Bars Side by side.jpg

Last edited:
I dig the baby kelly's.... gotta get my baby tillers with them for a play date.... :)

Kelly argues the bar Diameter question - this is from the Cycle age trade and review 1900

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.05.32.png

This Model was introduced in 1900 - from the Cycle Age and trade review 1900

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.32.11.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.32.23.png

1899 Patent

US622490-0.png

no. 622,490. Patented Apr. 4, I899.

w. E. KELLY. HANDLE BAR FOB BIGYCLES. (Application filed Dec. 27, 1898.) (No Model.)

Fly 1. Pg. 2, E1343 ,W/TNESSES: 1N VEN R.

ZQW 67% Q24 W ATTORNEY.

UNITED, STATES PATENT Eric.

-WILLIAM E. KELLY, OF CLEVELAND, OHIO, ASSIGNOR OF ONE-HALF TO KATHERINE .I. WEED, OF SAME PLACE.

HANDLE-BAR FOR BICYCLES.

SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 622,490, dated April 4., 1899.

Application filed December 27,- 1898. Serial No. 700,338- (N'o model.)

To (tZZ whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, WILLIAM E. KELLY, a citizen of the United States of America, and a resident of Cleveland, in the county of Ouyahoga and State of Ohio, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Handle-Bars for Bicycles, of which the following is a speci fication.

This invention relates to handle-bars for bicycles; and it consists in the new constructions and combinations, substantially ashereinafter described,aud pointed out in the claim.

The nature and operation of the invention will fully appear from the subjoined description when considered in connection with the accompanying drawings, in which- Figure 1 is a View of the handle-bar stem. Fig. 2 is a side elevation of the same, showing the eyes of the bars in place ready to be secured therein. Fig. 3 is a similar view showing the bars and the stem secured together by a bolt and nut. I Fig. 4 is a perspective view of the eyes ofthe handle-bars. Fig. 5 is a cross-section through the handle-bar joint, showing a bolt with a cam-lever as a substitute for the nut for fastening the bolt. Fig. 0 is a face or side view of the same.

A is a handle-bar stem having the eyes a a spread apart at the top at a slight angle from the perpendicular line, as seen in Figs. 1 and 2. This is to enable the bars to be placed in between them from above. On the inside face of each eye is a segment of a circular row of radial corrugations c c.

B B are the handle-bars, having eyes I) b.

On one side of'said eyes is made a continuousrow of radial corrugations e e, surrounding the holes.

D is a bolt and nut put through the eyes for clamping and binding by springing the eyes a a firmly to the eyes I) 1). Instead of the nut a cam-lever L may be attached to the bolt for fastening it. This would enable the bolt to be fastened and unfastened much quicker than by the screwing 011 and off of the nut.-

It will be seen that by this construction the handle-bars may be very easily and quickly changed to either the dropped or upturned or WILLIAM E. KELLY.

Witnesses:

LEWIS W. FORD, GEo. W. TIBBITTS.

Last edited:
Back