When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE LEADER, c1908/10. John G Nuebling, Reading PA. Model 32

-

Old Crow

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,

I'm new here and have just come into the possession of this c1908/10 bicycle, built by the Great Western Manufacturing Co.

The brass badge on steerer tube states "THE LEADER" and the name of John G Nuebling, Mr JG Nuebling from what ive managed to research owned a sporting goods business in Reading at the turn of the last century....

This particular bicycle was last seen on "The Cabe" in 2013, where the original gentleman that found it was trying to find out some information on this machine, it was then sold and disappeared for awhile..
In early 2020 it was sold to a friend of mine and made its way to Australia, it is now in my possession, and i have since put back on some parts that i believe are more suited to this marvelous bicycle, i hope i have done the cycle proud, and get a tick of approval from you vintage/veteran guys across the pond..

Information Wanted

When this bicycle first appeared on The Cabe in 2013, and up untill today (7 years), no other information on this bicycle has ever surfaced.

I gather it maybe a little in the rarer category, or just from a smaller amount of cycles put out with that particular badge....
I would really like to see another baring the same badge, and any more information on this cycle.

The Fauber star pattern chain wheel, cranks & bottom bracket put it in the Great Western Manufacturing Co category. I know Mr John G Nuebling had a sporting shop in around the same area, the bicycle is a beauty to ride, im very happy with it in general, but would love to find out much more aut it.

So if anyone can shed a little more light on this fabulous machine it would be much appreciated..

This cycle is now touring the back bush roads of the mid north of South Australia, it's gone "Down under"..

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read my post, and i hope that it brings a few more of these bicycles out into the light...

Cheers

FB_IMG_1591729667313.jpg

Screenshot_20200610-044027.jpg

Screenshot_20200610-041414.jpg

Screenshot_20200610-041436.jpg

Screenshot_20200610-044155.jpg

Screenshot_20200610-044207.jpg

Screenshot_20200610-044220.jpg

FB_IMG_1591729560135.jpg

Yeah! Thats the kind of track those 28 inch rims were made for! Good red dirt track.

You're lucky to have it in NSW where you can still get the tires for it. I ordered mine from Moruya Bicycles, shipping costs are rough.;) My teens Pierce feels best on a packed sandy path and with some speed the rims hum like an instrument. Hate to think of you running into some Pattersons Curse seeds out there. Learned about those visiting friends in Perth in the 80s, as bad as it gets for sharp seed pods.

Enjoy that beautiful machine!

1901-1908 references to Leader Bicycle by John G. Nuebling. Nuebling had a sporting goods store in Reading PA from at least 1901-1939. Started as the Globe Cycle Co. then became Nuebling and Tyson in 1901 then 1902 ad says just John G. Nuebling. All references below are from Reading Times newspaper in Reading PA. There are ads showing him selling Princeton, Racycle, Reading Standard, Indian and other makes in the nineteen teens and twenties.

January 4, 1901:
1591740108222.png

March 22, 1901:
1901-03-22-reading-times-reading-pa-leader-ad-jpg.jpg

April 11, 1901:
1901-04-11-reading-times-reading-pa-leader-ad-jpg.jpg

April 15, 1901:
1901-04-15-reading-times-reading-pa-leader-ad-jpg.jpg

April 21, 1902:

July 6, 1904:
-07-06-reading-times-reading-pa-leader-bicycle-jpg.jpg

June 2, 1908 (last ad found listing Leader:(
-06-02-reading-times-reading-pa-leader-bicycle-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah! Thats the kind of track those 28 inch rims were made for! Good red dirt track.

You're lucky to have it in NSW where you can still get the tires for it. I ordered mine from Moruya Bicycles, shipping costs are rough.;) My teens Pierce feels best on a packed sandy path and with some speed the rims hum like an instrument. Hate to think of you running into some Pattersons Curse seeds out there. Learned about those visiting friends in Perth in the 80s, as bad as it gets for sharp seed pods.

Enjoy that beautiful machine!
Hi
I'm in South Australia,

What you guys call Patterson's Curse we call Salvation Jane, not much left in the area now. Our main prickle is Calthrop, nasty thing, spikes like carpet tacs

Cheers for you comments

Back