When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Little Aerocycle that Could: A Pretty Camelback Who Dreams to One Day Have a Tank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
The Little Aerocycle That Could: A Pretty Camelback Who Dreams to One Day Have a Tank
Here is a project that came to me in May of 2017. The two Aarons (@ratrodz and @VintageSchwinn.com ) had bought the bicycle at an obscure Pennsylvania auction. I picked it up on their behalf on my return trip from Spring Brimfield. After loading the bicycle in my car I knew I wanted to own it. Still to this day I am not sure what attracted me to the bicycle; it was an ambitious project! The tank was long gone, and someone had cut off the top bar, flipped it and turned the little Aerocycle into a girl's rider. During the bike's history, the frame, fork, rack, and fenders had been painted with two coats of over paint. I guess part of me wanted to save the ole' gal as she was destined to be parted; the guys had already pre-sold the original rear light when I fetched the bike from the auction.

Here is how the little Aerocycle looked when I picked her up:

IMG_6033.JPG

Here are a couple images of paint removal test areas May 2017:
IMG_9694.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

Image of the light that that went elsewhere:

IMG_6009.jpg

Last edited:
After the paint test spots produced positive results I then disassembled the bicycle. The black and chestnut colored overpaint layers were completely removed from the frame and fork.
IMG_5974.jpg

The frame post paint removal:

IMG_6324.JPG

The frame was then sent off to the Aerocycle ninja master Cliff Mote to be properly corrected. Cliff did a fantastic job with the sex reversal surgery:
IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6961.jpg

The paint removal on the fenders was tedious and very time consuming. The chestnut paint came off just fine, there was an additional layer of silver paint that tried my patience. Once completed everything was sent off for a cosmetic refresher. The weld areas on the frame of course were the primary issue of concern. The guard and the rear rack still need paint to be removed...it feels like it never ends.

Here is the little Aerocycle as of a couple days ago:

IMG_2448.jpg

I am thrilled with the results of the repainting on the weld spots! A huge shout-out to Tom Clark for his assistance.

Last edited:
Anyone know what year(s) the cool fork stop bracket was used on the Aerocycle like the one above?

I personally believe that they were all equipped with them from the factory, but occasionally you see them without (I believe this is due to them breaking off). I have a 1934 and 1936 and one bike has one that’s broken off and one is still present.

Back