When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Lost Cyclist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
D

davekingedits

I'm currently in the middle of David Herlihy's The Lost Cyclist, the story of the disappearance of Frank Lenz as he was cycling around the world in 1892. Lenz was riding a Victor pneumatic-tired safety. In fact, one purpose of his ride, besides fame and fortune (he was chronicling it for Outing magazine, his sponsor), was to prove the effectiveness of those new-fangled pneumatic tires.

Thing is, Herlihy mentions several time that Lenz packed an extra "inner tube" on his person, and had a trunk full of "tires and tubes" shipped ahead of him.

In 1892, we would have been talking about a single-tube tire, right? Is Herlihy wrong about this? Or was Victor ahead of its time?

David

They made inter tubes for sew-up glue on tyres.These were the same as single tube tires but you had to sew the tire before you glued it to the rim.

Thanks. I've still clearly got a lot to learn.
David

Victor189318-1.jpg

Victor189319-1.jpg

Yes, thank you, pelletman. That's fascinating. Some of the "thorough tests of the last year" were undoubtedly performed by Lenz, riding the thing across the country. (I don't think he reach China until 1893.)

By the way, Hurlihy's book mentions that Lenz had a custom-made back wheel with sprockets of different sizes on either side of the hub. He could change gears by flipping the wheel over. Has anyone encountered that elsewhere?

David

Back