When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Machines

-

Underground Bicycle Shop

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Who knows, has pictures or has seen pre war Bicycle MFG equipment! Any torches, jigs, tools, molds? Photos of people making bicycles. Has to be Pre War. I want t see a lot of everything. Its nice to see the hard work put into all of our Beautiful rides and its even better when we get to appreciate The craftsmanship put into them!

i dont have any pics, but i would like to see some also. thats one thing i appreciate about a lot of the early racing bikes, they were not mass produced in factories but built one at a time by master craftsmen or in little mom and pop shops. new york was a hotbed for racers with quite a few famous builders turning out low production bikes

Umm - Interesting idea.

These are from the Singer plant in 1897...

Singer Assembly Room

singer-assy-room1897.jpg

Singer Turning Dept.

singer-turning-dept1897.jpg

Singer Machine Shop

singer-machine-shop1897.jpg

[video=youtube_share;zXSHpj74Ksk]https://youtu.be/zXSHpj74Ksk[/video]

4619331064.jpg

singer-assy-room1897.jpg

singer-turning-dept1897.jpg

singer-machine-shop1897.jpg

4619331064.jpg

Last edited:
All those huge belts to run the machinery...there use to be factories that had belts going through floors to machinery above and below.

I see that you noticed the same thing--was wondering just how big a motor or hit and miss was running the line shaft

Back