When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Many Facets of the "What is this bike worth?" Question"

-
et another wise advice: Once you get 1 girl that's as bad, so much work to restore, before you know it, or before you get completely involved, even finished wit your first lesson, another will come up that's a boys and the girl will gather dust. So, it's worth 80 bucks if, in the long term, you got plenty storage space, more than you're imagining, even now.

This comes from a members question posted today, and I hope that he or she won't mind that I use this as a good example of why this has always been a difficult one to give a direct answer to.

Question:
Is this bike worth $80?

Partial answers in the form of questions:
  • Are you planning on reselling it as is to make a profit? -NOT WORTH $80
  • Are you planning on doing a full restoration that will cost $$$ and then sell? -NOT WORTH $80
  • Are you planning on doing an enjoyable project to just keep you busy? -WORTH $80
  • Are you planning on parting it out to make a profit? -WORTH $80
  • Are you planning on just having a nice old bike that you just want to enjoy? -WORTH $80
  • Is this your first old bike? -WORTH $80
  • Are you're willing to do a lot of labor and keep it? -WORTH $80
  • Is a boy or girls bike best suited to you?
Can anyone add any other considerations that might apply?

View attachment 720645

The OP's original question was about worth. That is about the most subjective question there is. Usually the worth or value of something is whatever you can convert it to cash for when you need or want to. If I was really really thirsty and the vending machine in front of me only took two quarters for a drink and all I had was a dollar bill and a guy offer me two quarters for my dollar bill I would most likely trade him. At that moment a 50 cent drink was worth $1.00 to me.

Keep asking lots of questions @jchicago ! We all learn that way. I have some rare bikes but I'm still learning too! There will be some ignorant replies but there likely will be some good information posted in reply too. Above all WELCOME to the CABE! It's a fun place to hang out online!
The more I learn about prewar Schwinn bicycles, The more I realize I don't know!!! lol

The OP's original question was about worth. That is about the most subjective question there is. Usually the worth or value of something is whatever you can convert it to cash for when you need or want to. If I was really really thirsty and the vending machine in front of me only took two quarters for a drink and all I had was a dollar bill and a guy offer me two quarters for my dollar bill I would most likely trade him. At that moment a 50 cent drink was worth $1.00 to me.

In 1966 I did that or similar, that is. I brought a new .25 cent paperback Beatles book to school. Another Big kid offered me a quarter for it but, I refused, later 35 then 50 yet I refused B/;c the book didn't belong to me. and I told him to just go to the store and buy another. Besides, I knew that even double the money, it would end up being a raw deal. He may have been anxious to get it that day but, I knew he'd haunt me for it.. . However, by end of day it was .50 plus all the marbles, he had the biggest can of everybody as he was practically the champ in marbles. Thinking that I could just run to store and buy the book for .25 took the deal. but guess what, nope it was gone.

Now that simple book was more precious to me than the 50 cent and all the marbles. [wink] What's worse, sure enough he got buyers remorse and bullied me, on occasion, throughout school years until 1972. . 8-9 years later he bumped into me and apologized, I didn't even recognize him, nor realize it was all about the stupid trade. but he went on about that book and how he was mad and had pushed me around because of the deal. and according to him, although he didn't have it, it was worth 100 bucks by then, So, now, about 18 years later, he wasn't mad. o_O

Theres always quality over quantity.These are "space occupying" bikes.They have not much value and take up room.As a beginner collector this is definitely worth $80 but if space is limited this type bike will clutter you up.If you want to do the work to strip it down to original it would be a good project.

Only buy what you can afford, paying too much on impulse sours the deal, especially when the gremlins pop up. If there is little meat on the bone and the crank is stripped you can console yourself on not going in the hole.

Only buy what you like...it may be hanging around for awhile so it helps if it is pleasing to the eye.

When the better half notices your latest acquisition, hopefully you have already practiced saying nonchalantly things like, "What? That old thing?" and then quickly change the subject. Move your bikes around a lot, it keeps them confused as to whats coming and going. Divide the spoils...

This is a great thread, all points are valid. Sometimes I buy bikes for parts, sometimes I buy them because I see potential for a redo, sometimes because I just gotta have it, and at times I buy them just because...
For me, its what I enjoy. I'm no Guru, but there is a wealth of information on this site from history buffs, purist and educators and the friendship that comes along the way is a bonus. If there is something you want, at times it may not matter what you pay for it, you know your limitations. A transaction is between parties of a seller and a buyer, if the buyer is happy with the purchase and the price, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks, its what You enjoy.

Back