When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most expensive wheelset I've ever seen- Update- A new set of wheels for an 1860s Boneshaker Bicycle

-
I called on a Schwinn Dealership during the late 1970's called Green's Cyclery in Fresno, CA. It was owned by Doug Watson. Doug was quite the fabricator, a hot rod guy, and he was the "go to guy" for all of the Central Valley low riders that needed spoke repairs on their Tru-Spoke wheels after a session of jumping. A freeway expansion eliminated his location in the 1980's.

One day I saw a Bone Shaker in his dealership just like the one pictured in this thread. The wood wheels were destroyed. I watched him build two new wheels over a period of months. He rolled the steel hoops, used 1/8" strips of wood, steamed, clamped, glued, and continued round and round adding a strip or two each day until he had the rim thickness he desired. He hand made the spokes and hubs, and as an observer, I was impressed. He worked on the wheels in his spare time for months, but the restored Bone Shaker was impressive. I'm sure it still floating around the California Central Valley somewhere.

It's amazing what can be done if someone does the research, takes the time to track down the materials and source vendors to do some of the work. You are correct, it's hard to find people that understand what needs to be done and how and why you want it done in a certain way. Great job on this project.

John

Back