When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Mythical 1955 Mens Blue Phantom.........Anyone seen an UNRESTORED one?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
While over the years I've owned several original paint unrestored Blue Ladies Phantoms, I've never found an original mens version. The closest I've ever come to seeing an original was 2 or 3 years back on Ebay a bike flipper (non collector) in upstate NY listed one along with some modern bikes in his listings. I don't even think he put the word 'blue' in the description, but it was definately an original paint unrestored rough bike. It went pretty high 2 range from what I recall. It was indisputably legit. Has anyone on here ever owned one or seen a true original paint 55 mens model? Does anyone know who won the bike that sold on Ebay? I've probably had close to a dozen of the ladies models over the years, best one coming from a TRUE "picker" in Chicago who back in the late 80's would ship out bikes he found in basements etc. Complete and mint missing tank ladies blue was had for >gasp< 200 bux plus shipping. I sold it at a local Huntington beach meet for 400 and thought I hit a home run!

Attached are some pix of a correctly dated 55' frame I restored with 100% original parts for a local collector last year. Original EVERYTHING......except for tubes and the air in the tubes. Nos fenders, front brake, Tailight and Typhoon tires. I wonder how many the Schwinn factory actually squirted in Blue and why so few?
[/SIZE]
[/FONT][/B]View attachment 189406View attachment 189407View attachment 189408View attachment 189409View attachment 189410View attachment 189411View attachment 189412View attachment 189413View attachment 189414

[/FONT][/SIZE]

View attachment 189406

View attachment 189407

View attachment 189408

View attachment 189409

View attachment 189410

View attachment 189411

View attachment 189412

View attachment 189413

View attachment 189414
Beautiful. ..

unfortunately I can't get the house of color stuff here anymore.
I do have an NOS blue 6 hole rack top I drop at my paint mixer/matcher
and they nail it very accurately.

I learned the hardway restoring Blue Phantoms the first one was a 'slight' miss, second one a home run. Both were done with all original parts and NOS goodies such as taillights, tires, fenders etc. The very first one I did was a COLOR MATCH from a NOS mid 50s' metallic blue Streamliner/Hornet/wasp front fender. WRONG! Thos painted fender bikes were metallic not "candy" colors.
The one in the pix above was done last year and I ended up with an NOS 6hole rear carrier for one in a buyout. My paint shop NO-Brainered the match and it was a standard HOUSE OF COLOR "candy". House of color provides basically a tint which you add to the 'clear'. Careful how much you add and not to tint to dark or light. You need a silver Base Coat over your initial primer coat. Then the House of Color Tint and Clear mix. It was 'dead on'.
It was the same color Schwinn used for the Jaguars. Basically their chrome fendered bikes, not the painted fendered ones that got the Blue Metallic.

I'll post a pic of the first one out of the gate and the correct Candy color one ....hard to tell in pix, but up close you can really see it.
Good info Bob. It's so difficult to talk story about how to get matches on Schwinn's Candy paints. . Your remarks sent me hunting for another Schwinn with it for further reference as It's the color I want for a 54 24" Corvette. Color match found here posted 2014; a superb original 56 Streamliner, most certainly, never touched that is Opal blue. . .

000_6305-jpg.jpg

000_6307-jpg.jpg

;)

The streamliner blue is different. I've restored 2 55' blue bikes...first one was a paint color
error matching to the color above..... The Phantom blue was different and the 2nd bike
(in pix above somewhere) was the correct blue

Back