When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The noisy 1-inch pitch cog

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jacob9795

I live for the CABE
My cog had a groove worn into one side of each tooth from normal wear. The noise emanates from each chain roller as they lift away from the tooth and worn groove back toward the chain wheel. I carefully used my bench top grinder to make each tooth have a flat profile again, I think I solved the problem, it sounds quieter. Thoughts/opinions? These chain drive systems are usually a bit noisy but they get louder with wear. There are definitely pros/cons to this method versus finding a NOS cog, perhaps it’s a quick fix.

68A0021D-9D88-4617-9883-02CD4E3055AA.jpeg

BAE1011E-5C3A-4D86-A9F2-3D3B52F5C48A.jpeg

I spent 2 hours on a machine yesterday that had a terrible noise from the drive chain. Brand new cogs and chain on a brand new machine. Your fix should help but make sure the tension on the chain does not get over tight at any point. That was just one of my issues that needed attention.

I spent 2 hours on a machine yesterday that had a terrible noise from the drive chain. Brand new cogs and chain on a brand new machine. Your fix should help but make sure the tension on the chain does not get over tight at any point. That was just one of my issues that needed attention.
I had that issue too with the chain tension on this bike, the chainwheel is off-center a bit. I rotated the chainwheel 360 degrees and made sure the chain still had some slack. I got this bike on the road this afternoon, it’s quiet.

Last edited:
Earlier today, I had my garage door open halfway. I was inside the garage and rode my bike out to the driveway but was looking down at my bike and cleaned myself off the bike, head first into the garage door, on to the floor. No blood was spilled. I used my leg to protect the bike from getting scratched.

I’ve lived a good life, I thought to myself

Earlier today, I had my garage door open halfway. I was inside the garage and rode my bike out to the driveway but was looking down at my bike and cleaned myself off the bike, head first into the garage door, on to the floor. No blood was spilled. I used my leg to protect the bike from getting scratched.

I’ve lived a good life, I thought to myself

Geeze, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Good to hear the bike didn't get hurt though. Sure sounds like we have the same kind of luck. Have you ever had the experience of shutting a truck door on four of your fingers and the door actually latched with fingers still stuck in the jamb? Not saying this actually happened to me, but it did hurt.
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

Ouch! Nope, not yet. I bet that hurt for a long time afterward. It’s funny, I laugh at myself all the time, I’m my worst critic. No damage to the bike. My sister told me she wished she could have seen it happen :rolleyes:.

I had the same noise problem. teeth were worn and 'hooked'-looks like you ground the hooks. you have increased the space between teeth now and that will stretch your chain or tear it up. just replace the sprocket or the sprocket/driver add a new quality chain and the problem will be gone.

My cog had a groove worn into one side of each tooth from normal wear. The noise emanates from each chain roller as they lift away from the tooth and worn groove back toward the chain wheel. I carefully used my bench top grinder to make each tooth have a flat profile again, I think I solved the problem, it sounds quieter. Thoughts/opinions? These chain drive systems are usually a bit noisy but they get louder with wear. There are definitely pros/cons to this method versus finding a NOS cog, perhaps it’s a quick fix.

View attachment 872023

View attachment 872024

Are you sure that bolt that holds the chain guard isn’t rubbing. It’s kind of loud !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back