The Oldest CL Trick in the Book!

This ad disappears when logged in

KingSized HD

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 23, 2013
Herndon, CA, United States
From the ad:

Antique old Bicycle - $1000 (Kansas city area) hide this posting

Looking to BUY antique,classic,banana seat bike. Also interested in parts,pieces,tools,signs,clothing,apron etc. Send your reply thru the list of what you have.

Krakatoa

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 12, 2016
Warren, RI, United States
Posting a Wanted ad in the For Sale section. Send him a list of your $1000 bikes see what he offers.

BFGforme

Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
I thought the oldest trick was, I'm over seas and I will send you a money order for said item for$200 over your asking price and you keep$50 and when my carrier comes to pick it up you give him the rest! 2 months later bank calls and was a fake mo! Now out product and your own cash!!

Krakatoa

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 12, 2016
Warren, RI, United States
It's really a technicality, but you are supposed to post Wanted ads in Wanted and For Sale ads in For Sale. He's posting a Wanted ad in the For Sale.

kccomet

Mar 23, 2009
Independence, United States
not sure what trick this is, this was from Craigslist. I live in kc and know the guy running the ad, no scam or tricks. hes a good guy, he's a buyer, but not at full retail. I used to run ads myself but got tired of wading thru department store bikes.

Archie Sturmer

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Not sure how old Craig is, but the "trick" part might be that one reads a title, and may reasonably expect that the ad is for an item for sale, and thereby gets "tricked" into clicking a link, waiting for something to load, and finding, instead of the item they were anticipating and perhaps interested in buying (or just looking), is instead a wanted ad, but the reader may not have been selling, or even been interested in selling, or interested in wanted ads at all.
Do we go to the market and ask to see others' shopping lists.

Euphman06

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 17, 2011
I post mine with the first word being... "WANTED" in all caps so it's right out there in the open. If they can't read and open it up, then oh well. I also click on wanted ads posted anyway to see what bikes they have examples of. Just because they are looking for bikes doesn't mean they won't sell any either.

BrandonB

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 25, 2018
California
I did this a long time ago in the "penny saver" here in town. got a few old bikes for cheap. didn't know it was an old trick. thought it was a wanted ad.
AAhhhhh the ol' "Pennysaver" whatever happened to that? That and the "Magic Ads". I used to find good stuff in the Magic Ads.
As far as posting a wanted ad in the for sale section, as long as the guy posting isn't from Nigeria and pays with a money order that's more then the asking price so you can pay the shipper, well I don't have a problem with that.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture