When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The One(s) That Got Away

-

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Watching the news last evening and making my hourly search of Facebook Marketplace, when I came across a new ad that made my heart leap-- '3 Old Schwinns Bicycles 50s to 70s I Believe For Restoration'. $300. Only ninety minutes from my home.

I tried contacting the seller shortly thereafter, but I was already too late.

And I'm just sick:

thumbnail_IMG_5823.jpg

Tiger, Speedster, and I'm assuming a postwar DX. Three-hundred bucks. Rats. Anyone else have a similar sob story? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go check FB again.

The ones that got away, my story is my fault. I posted needing info on a bike on CL well someone on the Cabe was reading the posts and beat me to the bike. This happened twice, so now I will post after I either buy the bike or if not I will turn the Cabers on to the lead. They were both stingrays. I should of known better, this has happened with cars too.

The ones that got away, my story is my fault. I posted needing info on a bike on CL well someone on the Cabe was reading the posts and beat me to the bike. This happened twice, so now I will post after I either buy the bike or if not I will turn the Cabers on to the lead. They were both stingrays. I should of known better, this has happened with cars too.
/\ /\ /\THIS

Sorry to hear it. Those bikes are easily worth the asking price. The one in the back might be a 50's Hornet, missing the tank and Rocket Ray, incorrect seat

THIS is why I’m banging my head over missing out on this deal. This is a typical central Cali listing.
It's not much different here in the NY metro area. Old 3 speeds, Walmart bikes, etc selling for premium prices. The Pandemic bike shortage made it worse.

I got into the hobby in the mid 90's, after finding a 1960 Schwinn Mark IV Jaguar at a church flea market for $10. It was missing a lot (tank/horn, racks, fenders, etc). This lead me to the local Schwinn dealership, where the owner was doing restorations on vintage and classic bikes. He helped me source parts to put the bike back together.

After that, many of the bikes I bought came through the "pipeline" at the bike shop, or Ebay / swap meets. I never found any good deals in the classifieds.

In So Cal, I believe there is a huge swap meet in Long Beach. Not sure how far that is for you but have you ever been there?

Sorry to hear that. A while back someone listed on FB Market Place a girls pre war Schwinn 26” unmolested and in great shape needing a cleaning and greasing the bearings. It was listed for $60 so I sent the guy a message within 10 minutes of being listed but it was gone by then! 😠

It's not much different here in the NY metro area. Old 3 speeds, Walmart bikes, etc selling for premium prices. The Pandemic bike shortage made it worse.

I got into the hobby in the mid 90's, after finding a 1960 Schwinn Mark IV Jaguar at a church flea market for $10. It was missing a lot (tank/horn, racks, fenders, etc). This lead me to the local Schwinn dealership, where the owner was doing restorations on vintage and classic bikes. He helped me source parts to put the bike back together.

After that, many of the bikes I bought came through the "pipeline" at the bike shop, or Ebay / swap meets. I never found any good deals in the classifieds.

In So Cal, I believe there is a huge swap meet in Long Beach. Not sure how far that is for you but have you ever been there?
Unfortunately LB is four-plus hours away, not really feasible at this point in time.

Back